Wesley Penner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationRoxton Falls, Quebec, Canada

Posted 05 August 2022 - 02:40 PM

Hi

I have an outswing door that I would like to have showing even with the exterior trim. Not inset as shown in the second attachment. Is there any way to do this? I try to adjust the frame offset but it doesn't seem to go far enough.

Thanks

Wesley

Attached Thumbnails

• 20211005_155756_r2_800gt_q85.jpg
  • door offset.jpg

#2 Ben Ginther

Ben Ginther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 06 August 2022 - 02:35 PM

Will it be close enough if you set the opening offset in the wall definition? 

#3 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 06 August 2022 - 03:37 PM

Also set trim to be inset and see how that looks. Probably not exactly what you would want, but may give the illusion of being more correct. Another option that gets a little messy is to create a wall with a material you do not use in anything else. Set that wall to the thickness of the current walls, plus trim, etc.. Place that wall in line with the interior of the existing wall. Set the door in the existing wall to be just a blank arch at the correct size. Set the door in the new thicker wall. Set the offset of the door in that wall so it flushes out with the trim on the existing wall. Check exterior trim on the arch in the existing wall. Uncheck exterior trim on the door in the thicker wall. Make sure in 3D the thicker wall material does not show. Also, you may want to uncheck clean up, check anchor, etc. and set wall joins to 0'-0" on the thicker wall. You may even want to put it on a separate layer that you can lock once you get it how you like it.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#4 Wesley Penner

Wesley Penner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationRoxton Falls, Quebec, Canada

Posted 19 August 2022 - 09:00 AM

Ben, Mark,

Ben, that does not seem to work. It does not seem to work to push the door offset beyond the outside of the siding. What does seem to work is an evolution of Mark's suggestion. I added a None material to my wall that is thicker to the outside of the wall. Then I can use the opening offset to push the door out further. Thanks for your suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails

• test.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: door, opening offset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users