• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hanson

Chris Hanson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 09:50 AM

Is there a way to snap to exterior sheathing and/or exterior side of stud for exterior walls that I am missing? As is, I can snap to interior stud or the exterior siding (Being able to snap to siding has no use for me, not sure about others). It would seem very logical as these would be good places to snap the reference points and be able to draw in guide lines from if need be. I do have sheathing set to bearing and as my outside for extension lines in wall def so I have a work around but...

Want to double check it is not "user error" before I put in a request for this feature :D

#2 Ron Sirolli

Ron Sirolli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 04:38 AM

go wall definition and set the extension there where you would like them to snap to there are four places for you

#3 Wendall Hilty

Wendall Hilty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 04:54 AM

Can't you snap to the sheathing if you zoom in far enough that you can differentiate between the lines?

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 10 October 2022 - 07:56 PM

Setting the trace line position in the WALL DEFINITION, may do what you require.

• Wesley Penner likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Chris Hanson

Chris Hanson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 06:42 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I have the extensions set to sheathing (outer most bearing in my case), but drawing lines, setting reference, etc, still do not snap to sheathing or outer stud.

Wendall, if you know of a way to zoom in and snap sheathing or outer stud, please share. It does not work for me.

Setting the trace line to outer most bearing worked. Thanks Keith!

For anyone else reading, switching the trace line to outer bearing will then change the sketch-in line to either outer stud or sheathing depending on your definition, but not both. It will no longer be the center line of the stud (typical for interior walls).

#6 Wendall Hilty

Wendall Hilty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 05:40 AM

I thought I could snap to the sheathing, but upon closer examination I see that it's only snapping to the stud. It turns out I already had my trace line set to outer bearing point. By adjusting the bearing material I can snap to either the stud or the sheathing but not both.

• Wesley Penner likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users