5 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 19 October 2022 - 04:28 PM

Anyone have a list of what is included in the "extended" wall libraries?  I've created a bunch of custom walls over the years to have things such as brick wainscot with stucco, siding, board and batten, etc.  I've had some strange behavior with softplan causing walls to move when they shouldn't and having dimensions all be off by 1/4".  It happened recently and support was finally able to pinpoint the problem with a board and batten wall I had created that had 1" thick board and batten where they have board and batten as 1.5" walls so I would get the program moving things when using that particular wall.  What I'm wondering is if these "extended" wall libraries include the types I'm looking for so I can just load them rather than going through a bunch of walls I created and fixing things I had screwed up in the past.

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 October 2022 - 08:08 PM

Why not load a vanilla Softplan install on an old computer, and save the extended wall list to a flash drive file so you can load/unload walls to your main computer as necessary.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 20 October 2022 - 05:30 AM

Hi Sam,

Are you saying that the "Board and Batten" material line in the wall definition should be set to 1.5" in the "width" column?

#4 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 06:59 AM

Hi Sam,

Are you saying that the "Board and Batten" material line in the wall definition should be set to 1.5" in the "width" column?

Yes..that's what is default on walls supplied by SP with board and batten.  I had my custom walls all at 1" and it was screwing something up.  I would work on a project, then sometimes when I came back to it later all my walls had moved by 1/4".  It probably took 5 support tickets to finally figure out what might be going on.  Luckily this week I had just finished a stock plan then saved all the files to a new project to create that plan with a different foundation type and when I opened the new project, all the walls had moved so support was able to compare both projects to see what was going on.  I'm sure on the first few tickets they thought I was nuts!!!  :)

• David Zawadzki likes this

#5 Bill Wimberley

Bill Wimberley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationSan Angelo, TX

Posted 20 October 2022 - 12:55 PM

Perhaps change the name of the wall you created so it isn't the same as SoftPlan's wall.

I had a similar situation in the past. When I first started drawing for my builder they wanted the brick walls to have the outside of the brick 5" from the framing. Fast forward several years and thousands of plans later and they decide they want the brick to be 5 1/2". If I just changed the brick to be 5 1/2" my walls would move 1/4" and the dimension extension lines would be off and would have to be redone. I resolved the issue by creating a new brick wall which I appended "Wide" to the name and used the 5 1/2" brick. To update my plans I used Change Wall and changed all the existing brick walls to the "Wide" version, matching the outside of the brick on the old and new. To make it easier to recognize whether or not I had updated the brick walls I made the "Wide" version display at a different color.

• David Zawadzki and Stephan Page like this

#6 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 01:31 PM

Perhaps change the name of the wall you created so it isn't the same as SoftPlan's wall.

I had a similar situation in the past. When I first started drawing for my builder they wanted the brick walls to have the outside of the brick 5" from the framing. Fast forward several years and thousands of plans later and they decide they want the brick to be 5 1/2". If I just changed the brick to be 5 1/2" my walls would move 1/4" and the dimension extension lines would be off and would have to be redone. I resolved the issue by creating a new brick wall which I appended "Wide" to the name and used the 5 1/2" brick. To update my plans I used Change Wall and changed all the existing brick walls to the "Wide" version, matching the outside of the brick on the old and new. To make it easier to recognize whether or not I had updated the brick walls I made the "Wide" version display at a different color.

Yes!!! Finally someone that had what I had!  I think the support guys thought I was nuts on the first few tickets but this is exactly what was happening to me.  I pulled up the extended wall library last night and found it was going to be faster to just fix the handful of walls that I had that were going to be a problem vs sifting through all the other walls and renaming things.  Everything is back to normal now....just need to work on a few new projects and make sure my issue is gone.  Thanks for chiming in!!!

• David Zawadzki likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users