Wesley Penner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationRoxton Falls, Quebec, Canada

Posted 20 October 2022 - 01:54 PM

Hi all

I do not understand where to set the default offset for a window. The wall that I am using is a custom wall. Is there some setting in the wall that dictates what height the top of the window will be? Or is it in the default opening settings? What am I missing?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2022-10-20 155143.png

#2 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 October 2022 - 12:18 AM

I believe the Default window placement can be edited by going to 'System Options', 'System Options', and navigating to '---Drawing Options---', expand 'Material Dimensions' and locate 'Opening Options'. Within the opening options, set the Window Offset to an indicated height and whether it is referenced from the Top of Wall or Bottom of Wall. If the indicated window offset is specific for your one project, I would recommend editing this property within 'Drawing Options' or through 'Project Options' since the 'System Options' is on a system level and impacts all future projects utilizing your system defaults.

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 October 2022 - 01:33 PM

Yes, but as Wesley seems to have discovered, SOME windows have their own offsets. My windows are ALL set as a default at 82" from the floor. However, SOME windows appear at what seems to be random heights when added to the drawing. Like Wesley, I haven't found what controls that either.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Wesley Penner

Wesley Penner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 10:50 AM

Yes, Keith, you have about described my problem. Anybody else have an idea?

#5 Bill Wimberley

Bill Wimberley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • LocationSan Angelo, TX

Posted 24 October 2022 - 11:33 AM

I believe the offsets are set when you create the opening.

If the offset of the opening is unchecked when the opening is created using Add Product Code then the opening will use the Opening Options-->Window Offset setting whenever the window is inserted into a drawing.

If the offset for the opening is specifically set prior to creating the opening using Add Product Code then the opening will insert at that offset.

If you want an opening to always insert at the Opening Options offset then make sure that an offset is not specified for the opening when you create it using Add Product Code.

#6 Wesley Penner

Wesley Penner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 11:55 AM

Thank you Bill. But my window is already created (and it was not created from the Add Product Code button). So is there a way to set this after the fact?

#7 Bill Wimberley

Bill Wimberley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • LocationSan Angelo, TX

Posted 24 October 2022 - 12:30 PM

Thank you Bill. But my window is already created (and it was not created from the Add Product Code button). So is there a way to set this after the fact?

Insert the opening in a wall then edit it to either set the desired offset or uncheck offset so that it uses the opening options settings. Then use Add Product Code to replace the window in the System Library.

If you are using a version of SoftPlan earlier than version 2022 you will have to erase the existing window from the System Library first. In 2022 and later you can just replace it without having to delete the old one.

If you are wanting the insert the new version into a drawing that already has the old one inserted you will need to go to the Drawing Library first and "Reset" the opening. Otherwise you will still be using the old version.

#8 Wesley Penner

Wesley Penner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 01:06 PM

Ok I am starting to understand. I have used Add Product Code as you said and then reset the opening from the Drawing Library. I was careful to uncheck the offset before I did this. However, when I place the opening again, it defaults to custom offset "checked" and an odd height offset. I still have to go in and uncheck the custom offset box. This may not seem like a big deal, but I am in a little more of a production environment and having my defaults set exactly right can save a lot of time.

#9 Bill Wimberley

Bill Wimberley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • LocationSan Angelo, TX

Posted 24 October 2022 - 01:58 PM

Ok I am starting to understand. I have used Add Product Code as you said and then reset the opening from the Drawing Library. I was careful to uncheck the offset before I did this. However, when I place the opening again, it defaults to custom offset "checked" and an odd height offset. I still have to go in and uncheck the custom offset box. This may not seem like a big deal, but I am in a little more of a production environment and having my defaults set exactly right can save a lot of time.

When you use Add Product Code you are adding the current opening, including it's current settings, to the System Library.

When you add an opening to a drawing, a copy of the opening is saved to the Drawing Library. If you then change the System Library version by using Add Product Code the Drawing Library version remains unchanged. If you were to then try to insert the opening in the drawing again then the System Library version would be ignored and the Drawing Library version would be used.

Resetting the opening from within the Drawing Library takes the System version  and copies over the Drawing Library version. After the opening has been reset in the drawing then inserting the opening again will use the updated version.

• David Zawadzki likes this

#10 Wesley Penner

Wesley Penner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 07:02 AM

When you use Add Product Code you are adding the current opening, including it's current settings, to the System Library.

When you add an opening to a drawing, a copy of the opening is saved to the Drawing Library. If you then change the System Library version by using Add Product Code the Drawing Library version remains unchanged. If you were to then try to insert the opening in the drawing again then the System Library version would be ignored and the Drawing Library version would be used.

Resetting the opening from within the Drawing Library takes the System version  and copies over the Drawing Library version. After the opening has been reset in the drawing then inserting the opening again will use the updated version.

Thanks Bill. This, I think, I understand. My question is rather: why is the custom offset checked when I place the new opening if it was not checked when I used the Add Product Code?

#11 Wesley Penner

Wesley Penner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 03:07 PM

Tech support says: There does seem to be an issue with openings created in older version that are keeping the Offset from the older versions in the newer version. If this is the case, this has been sent to our development team for further review.

When I ADD PRODUCT CODE and overwrite the existing opening, it the offset settings do not carry through. When I ADD PRODUCT CODE and make a completely new opening the offset settings are good. 

So while not solved entirely, there is a way that works. I will simply need to recreate all of my custom windows (there are not too many) to new PRODUCT CODES.

• Bill Wimberley and David Zawadzki like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Opening, offset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users