5 replies to this topic

#1 Wendall Hilty

Wendall Hilty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 12:07 PM

Is there anyway to remove this bit of soffit without turning it off?

Attached File  InkedSoffit.jpg   62.18KB   2 downloads

#2 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 12:18 PM

Use hole in roof shaped to area and select no soffit and fascia?  I would think that would do it.

• David Franz likes this

#3 Rick Kingsbury

Rick Kingsbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSpearfish, SD

Posted 14 November 2022 - 12:27 PM

Can the soffit be turned to rake on the hip side?

#4 Wendall Hilty

Wendall Hilty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for your quick responses. The roof continues on the other side so I don't want to rake the soffit for the same reason I don't want to turn it off. I tried using a hole and after trying various things I settled on placing a little sliver up against the edge of the wall . Turning off the soffit for the hole and turning on the sheathing fixes everything except now I have a tiny little hole in the roof. It would be nice if the hole could be edited to also keep the roof surface on top of the sheathing.

Attached File  Soffit.jpg   43.61KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Roof.jpg   138.34KB   1 downloads

#5 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 14 November 2022 - 10:16 PM

Sometimes I used a ceiling that is sloped to fit the correct spaces with holes as needed. Another option is to use another roof and offset it slightly lower and slightly smaller overhangs. Make the roof a different material and turn off sheathing visibility.  Another option is to increase your overhang just a bit where the soffit triangle is and set that gable lollipop to reference a hidden, invisible beam outside of the footprint of the walls that is set the added difference of the overhang back from the face of the visible gable. So, for a 24" overhang, make it 25 or 26" and set the face of the beam back 1 or 2" from the face of the wall the gable references. Then drag that lollipop over to the beam instead of referencing the wall.

It would be nice to have more control over such things.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#6 Wendall Hilty

Wendall Hilty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 06:10 AM

Thank you, Mark. I like the idea of using the invisible beam inside the wall. For this project I'm close enough with the results I got from using the hole, but I will definitely keep it in mind for the next time I have this problem.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Soffit, Roof, 3d, Textured, Display, Problem, Visibility

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users