• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Todd Wacome

Todd Wacome

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 10:05 PM

I've drawn a second floor of  a basic plan, a very common design.  I've drawn lines over the second floor plan to represent hips valleys and ridges that are common on this design.  The bump out portion on the left is a lower so those 3 walls are 4' the others are 8'  

I like when auto roof works, or trace roof, and gives you a complete roof. That way the program can do a nice job of drawing rafters.

I don't know what to do on short wall that butts the main house so that a valley is created.  That wall should be the lower 4' height most of the way back and then start to slope up just before it butts the house.  I've tried to draw multiple walls there but the roof doesn't seem to get it.

It seems that any one of us could look at that birds eye view I've drawn and know that the three walls are lower and what is going on with a roof like that, how the eaves wrap around or transition to slope, etc.

If someone understands a very simple way to have the walls (or beams, or whatever) produce this valley could you please describe? 

Thank you.

Attached Files

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 December 2022 - 06:58 AM

You shouldn't need to have multiple walls. Just make sure all the walls you have drawn are at the correct heights and offsets.

I'm not actually sure what Softplan has drawn, as the roof you are indicating obviously has two separate planes. Can you post a picture of the 3D model, and Softplan's roof plan.

Also ensure that all the roof planes are referencing the correct walls.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationDuncan BC Canada

Posted 16 December 2022 - 08:59 AM

Looks like the entire left wall is lower?, is just the front left bump out lower?

that would give you one ridge left to right on the main then the 4’ bump would sit in front ?

like Kieth mentioned, best to send a 3D to see what’s happening.

#4 Todd Wacome

Todd Wacome

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 11:13 AM

I've re-read this and decided to get rid of the small bumpout (so there is only one "bumpout" to talk about) as well as indicate wall heights on the objective plan view, and have added 3D of what I want, I just don't like how I got there with holes in roofs, helper walls for edges to reference, etc.

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 December 2022 - 11:21 AM

No, you're right Auto Roof doesn't work, The problem is, Softplan doesn't actually know what you want the roof to do, so you do have to use "helper walls" and holes to create what you want.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 09 January 2023 - 09:19 AM

Todd,  when 3d walkthrough and walkarounds have to be graphically perfect....get used to multi planes, phantom walls, roof holes, layers and all sorts of trickery on overly complex roofs.

Attached Files

• Chris Proost likes this

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#7 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 09 January 2023 - 04:00 PM