5 replies to this topic

#1 Bart Mathews

Bart Mathews

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 January 2023 - 12:56 PM

Newbie here looking for help! I have created a site plan and digitized two foot contours from an imported image using Draw - Grade - Existing Grade - Spline. When completing the spline it asks for an Elevation Offset and not a contour elevation. I have left the Elevation Offset value at 0.00' and am assuming this is why my 3D rendering looks like the first image below. Why does it ask for an Offset instead of an actual elevation? I did provide Existing Shot Points at the intersection of each contour and property site line as was recommended elsewhere in the forum. I also have the Slopes Ground setting turned on. How do I enter the actual contour elevations for each contour spline line which run from 1646' to 1678'? Or, what am I doing wrong or missing? Any help is most appreciated!

Attached Files

#2 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 01:03 PM

Each of those numbers along each line needs to match the number you input. 

#3 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 11:14 AM

I find it helpful to think in terms of offset rather than actual grade elevation.

Take your lowest point (say 1667 and consider that a baseline and make it 10 ft).

Then add 2 feet and make the first contour line 10 feet.

Add two feet to each contour line.

Make sure the shot points at the end match the number of the contour that they are on.

Also make sure that the vertex points of the property lines match as needed.

#4 Bart Mathews

Bart Mathews

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 January 2023 - 05:39 PM

Sam and Steve, thanks for your advice - it worked! The site plan now shows the existing grades. I do need to ultimately show the final grades. Does this require that I create a new site plan for the proposed grades? I've not seen any information on how to present both existing and proposed grading together. Any advice or recommendations? Thanks again for your help!

Attached Files

#5 Jeremy Plum

Jeremy Plum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationBishop, Ca.

Posted 29 January 2023 - 06:17 PM

use building options.

build the existing in one set of options and the proposed in separate option. You can toggle them on and off a needed. The BO work in the model, plansets, elevations, cross sections, etc. very useful function.

• David Zawadzki likes this

Jeremy Plum

Plum Design & Construction

#6 Bart Mathews

Bart Mathews

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 February 2023 - 06:08 PM

Jeremy, your Building Options suggestion worked great! Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users