• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Grenz

Jeff Grenz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 07:42 PM

Lots of two story homes with two story spaces cutting through. How does one get the wall to cover the floor? 

I typically "cut" a hole in the floor in order to retain joist thickness around a two story section, building and stacking each floor.

Should I instead draw as we build? with 10' walls and 20' walls? (actually 21'2" or so)?  

#2 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationDuncan BC Canada

Posted 03 February 2023 - 08:18 AM

Draw as you would build, the 20’ wall will probably be 2x8 anyways?

#3 Michael Collazo

Michael Collazo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 06:25 PM

If you draw 20' wall it would screw up the bearing in the stack
  • Allen McDonnell likes this

Michael A Collazo

Planmark Design Studio, LLC

Tampa, Florida

http://planmarkstudio.com

info@planmarkstudio.com

#4 Henry Buckner

Henry Buckner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 08:01 AM

Only if the reference point is on the 20' wall.

#5 Tim Stockton

Tim Stockton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 06 February 2023 - 10:15 AM

I've designed a lot of 2 story buildings and don't think I've ever needed 2x8.  Work closely with your structural engineer for sizing and needs.  I've use a lot of 2x6 walls though! :)

Another note - if you want the drywall to come through the holes you cut, make sure that you put in the floor framing (joists and all) before cutting the hole, then it should all work well for you.

#6 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 10:59 AM

If you draw 20' wall it would screw up the bearing in the stack

One other trick you could use if you are having a hard time getting your references to stack the model properly (especially with multiple wall heights and intersecting floor planes), you can adjust the Building Position of each drawing under 'Site Options' and enable 'Building Position. This will set the building position at an indicated height that will stack the drawings regardless of if a wall, subfloor, etc. crosses the lowest plane of the drawing above it. I would still get used to using references since those are the easier and more practical way of stacking with ensuring your buildings are both aligned in x,y,and z axis.

#7 Michael Roman

Michael Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationPeshtigo, WI

Posted 06 February 2023 - 03:42 PM

I find that making the wall full height creates problems with the upper windows, just a pain to deal with them.  I typically put the floor system only where it would be when you build the home in real life.  I then draw walls where the 2nd story would be and make sure the offset is 0", that way it sits right on top of the wall below.  I make it the height it needs to be so my final elevation is correct.  Doing it this way makes dealing with the windows in the lower and upper parts of the wall very easy.  I have done it this way for a few years now.  I used to put the floor system under the whole thing and cut it out with a hole but I found that if I put the upper windows too low in the wall you could see the floor system in the windows, not ideal.  If there is a better way to do it I would love to hear it so I can try it.

#8 Harrison (Ted) Loxton

Harrison (Ted) Loxton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 February 2023 - 08:55 AM

It looks like this is fixed in v2024.  

I use framing models quite a bit, and if I draw the walls on both the upper and lower floor plans, I typically get the top and bottom plates in section.

I want the walls to show up on both plans, but will sometimes forget to click off 'extract in model' on one of the walls, which will then mess up my framing model.

With 2024, we'll be able to overlay a portion of the lower floor (for example, the 2 storey wall from below) into the 2nd storey plan.

In the past, I've even drawn the walls on the upper level with lines, but I'm excited about the new way coming.

• David Zawadzki likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users