#1 James Quesenberry

James Quesenberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationSouth West Virginia

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:01 PM

Is it possible to create railings and posts that attach to the perimeter of the deck as shown in the attached drawing. This is the first time that I have added a deck to the house so be easy on me.

Thank you,

Attached Thumbnails

• Deck Railings.png

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:33 PM

Yes, just make the spindles longer than the height of the railing (adjust accordingly) - again, I'm not at a Softplan computer, or would be a bit more specific - and offset the railing by a negative amount. If the spindles are 1½" then offset the railing by -0.75" Adjust the posts accordingly too. I'm assuming the posts will be notched.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 PAUL LADNER

PAUL LADNER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:33 PM

To attach rail posts to the outside of the deck, change the plan position in the rail edit box to 0.00.

Attached Thumbnails

• Temp - Splash.jpg

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:45 PM

Paul, 0.00" will set the centre of the railing/spindle to the edge of the deck. You need to move it further out to show the whole spindle outside the deck ... SEE POST #2 ... If the spindles are 1½" then offset the railing by -0.75" ... thats NEGATIVE 0.75"

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:36 AM

With 0.00" it shows like this ...

2015.10.14_09h33m01s_001.png

With -0.75" it shows like this ...

2015.10.14_09h34m04s_002.png

Keith

#6 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:08 AM

I've always had a problem with the balcony stairs with the spindles that stop at the top of each steps instead of on the sides same as the balcony. I know that it worked once or twice but can never find out how?

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:49 AM

If the railing is specified with the spindles longer than the handrail height, they should go down below the stair. Is this what you mean?

2015.10.14_10h48m48s_001.png

Keith

#8 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:37 AM

Even if I change the spindle heights (railing is set at 3'), it doesn't go downward for me. I use the square spindles because there was something about the bevelled (can't remember what exactly)and it was recommended that I use the square. In this example, if I try to change it to bevelled, the spindles show up even shorter not touching the steps and handrails.

Attached Thumbnails

• Stair railings.JPG

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:34 AM

The bevelled spindles don't change heights like the square ones, I have two separate definitions one for 42" spindles which I use with a 36" rail and one for 48" spindles which I use with a 42" rail. The square ones seem to adjust automatically, but the bevelled ones don't (if I remember rightly). Extract these into your C:\SoftPlan\Lathe\Spindles subdirectory, and see if they work.

Attached Files

Keith

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:29 AM

To get the railing looking like a Standard SB-7 - ED-1 detail, use a toerail, but lift it right up to the underside of the handrail - The standard doesn't have the spindles in the centre, but slightly off. If you reduce the toerail to 1" thick with a 2" x 4" handrail, it's near enough for modelling purposes. However if you're using Softlist, you'll have to use a 2" x 4" toerail, and let the model be a little out. There is probably a way to make it exact, but it's not been worth the effort to try and fix it.

2015.10.14_13h24m13s_001.png

Keith

#11 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:50 AM

Thanks Keith. Works great!

#12 James Quesenberry

James Quesenberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:25 AM

A lot of what you guys are talking about is bable to me as a new user so please forgive me. I haven't tried using railings but once since I started using the program and when the didn't work right the first time I swore them off. In trying to use them for a deck for the very first time I'm quite lost so (2) questions.

1) In all the pictures I see that you have posted there are no posts shown. Are there issues in adding posts to the side of the deck? Are there posts in the program that that are beveled at the bottom?

2) In all pictures the spindles are beveled at the top is it possible to not have this happen?

And thanks for all the info!

#13 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:57 AM

There are no posts shown because under the Ontario Building Code, the cantilever picket system requirements for the deck railings are very specific, and posts are not required. There probably are no posts that have been designed with a bevel at the bottom, but you can create your own posts to suit. (Yvon is also based in Ontario, so designing under the same code sections).

Again, the spindles are bevelled specifically to comply with the standard available materials. You can create your own profiles to suit.

Both the POST and SPINDLE profiles go under the C:\SoftPlan\Lathe\ directory in the relevant sub-directories. They don't have to be lathed though.

Keith

#14 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:59 AM

Paul, with regard to post #3, where did you get that menu dialog box. It seems that no matter what I do, I can't find a menu that gives all that information on one page.

Keith

#15 James Quesenberry

James Quesenberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:49 PM

Just to try something I created just a handrail as a wall type using 2 plates as my materials. Is there a way to get these plates out of framing and into something else for extraction in 3D?

#16 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:47 PM

Why would you create the handrail as a wall type?

You can make any handrail that you want, just draw a profile, and save it in SYSTEM LIBRARY > PROFILE > HANDRAIL. So your 2 plates would just be a 3" x 3½" rectangle.

Keith

#17 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:13 PM

Something that I find annoying if you save generated elevations in line style is that items on an angle such as the handrail and ground becomes a bit as if transparent so you end up with lines in the symbols that shouldn't be visible. Then, you have to explode if you want to erase those lines.

Attached Thumbnails

• Railing 2D.JPG
  • Railing 3D.JPG

#18 James Quesenberry

James Quesenberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:15 PM

Keith how do you go about adding a post and spindle with one end flat and one end tapered to the post and spindle directory? I thought that everything that went into these directories had to basically be symmetrical or "lathable" or the items would not work with SoftPlan.

#19 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:57 AM

Not so, The LATHE directory is just a repository for items that MAY be lathed, such as newels and spindles. They don't have to be lathed. Just draw a profile like this, and save it as a spindle - SYSTEM OPTIONS > SYSTEM LIBRARY > LATHE > SPINDLE > ONE STEP

2015.10.16_08h19m45s_001.png

Keith

#20 James Quesenberry

James Quesenberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 01:49 PM

I tried this with posts but when you use them as a rail system the image does not show. Softplan also needs to allow for placement of posts at locations other than the ends and at divisions points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users