2 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Mitchelmore

Andrew Mitchelmore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 23 February 2023 - 05:15 AM

I have a slopping roof with an intersecting dormer - how can I get a ceiling to fit the dormer section?

Attached Files

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 23 February 2023 - 09:28 AM

Use some hidden beams or walls outside the dormer set at the same plate height as the neighboring walls (or where you want the ceiling to reference) to give a place for the hip portions of the ceiling to reference on either side of the gable. Then set the gable end either to reference the outside wall or a hidden beam just outside of the neighboring walls. If you need to stretch it out beyond the outside walls, use a hole to cut it back to the interior as you like.

• Allen McDonnell likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 February 2023 - 10:49 AM

Use some hidden beams or walls outside the dormer set at the same plate height as the neighboring walls (or where you want the ceiling to reference) to give a place for the hip portions of the ceiling to reference on either side of the gable. Then set the gable end either to reference the outside wall or a hidden beam just outside of the neighboring walls. If you need to stretch it out beyond the outside walls, use a hole to cut it back to the interior as you like.

Well said Mark...Exactly how i did this.

FF remodel...so some off this is existing.  Not how i would typically set it up

Attached Files

• Attached File  xxxx.jpg   92.96KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users