#1 Kenneth Volanti

Kenneth Volanti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCrown Point, IN

Posted 25 February 2023 - 10:47 PM

Hello,

I'm still fairly new to the software but how do I create a exterior brick wing wall. I want it to be 7-5/8" wide, brick on each side, 45" tall, and with a brick cap. I added a quick cross section image of what I'm looking for to this post. I also need a similar wall type with a stone cap unless there is some way to specify in SoftPlan to have a stone cap on top of the wall?

Thank you in advance for your help and guidance.

Ken

Attached Files

#2 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 06:44 AM

Softplan has a brick retaining wall that might work great for what you want.  You can edit it and change the wall definition as needed (you might want to add a footer).  And, you can always create your own wall(s) as needed.  Hope that helps. 

#3 Kenneth Volanti

Kenneth Volanti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 08:48 PM

Thanks, I think I need to create a wall type. The wing wall is a wall on each side of the garage that is only 45" high. It has no purpose other than for decoration. I'm confused on how I should build the new wall type.

Attached Files

#4 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 05:26 AM

Just looking at the picture, I would draw the SP brick retaining wall where you want it and then change the wall height to 45" or as needed.  You might need to reduce the wall join tolerance so it just butts the existing wall and doesn't interact with it.  You can find a brick to match closely by suface editing the wall and using SP brick textures.  I would use a block pier/post for the brick column at the end,  Place it, adjust the height and size and paste the brick surface you used on the wall to the block pier. For the concrete cap, try using a 3D cube, shape and size as needed and move it to the top of the column.  Surface edit and apply the concrete finish you want.  

Regarding a new wall type, edit the brick retaining wall and open the definition tab.  There you will see how the wall is designed.  You can add a footer, change the brick sizes, etc....You can do this with any wall or just start from scratch.  I usually try to find something close, copy it under a new name and then do the edits I want.  You can change bearing, extension locations and everything about a wall including different material. 

Hope all that helps.  If not, let me know and a bit latter today I will use SP to make the wall and column with the light if you need it as a step by step sample.  

• David Zawadzki likes this

#5 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 05:31 AM

Forgot, once you make the first one just mirror the whole thing on the center line of the garage so it will reverse itself to the other side of the garage.  Or block copy, move and then reverse.....

#6 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 08:34 AM

Here is a pic of the wall made as above.  I didn't spend much time looking for brick textures and the light was all I found on SP for a post light.  I would try 3D Warehouse first and download a light from there if you need it.  

Attached Files

• David Zawadzki likes this

#7 Kenneth Volanti

Kenneth Volanti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 06:32 PM

Thank you, I will try that out and let you know if I have any trouble. 

#8 Kenneth Volanti

Kenneth Volanti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 04:01 PM

I finally had some time to attempt what you modelled. Which is exactly what I need. I honestly could not get anything to work. I am very new to Softplan and can't even find where to create the retaining wall you mentioned or how to create a brick/block post. I don't even know how to change the material type to match the brick. Is there any way I can get a copy of that file you created so I can see how you created the wing wall. Or if you can direct me to more clear directions on how to do those steps you mentioned in your post. Maybe I am asking too much but I am having a hard time finding the tools to create these things. Thank you for all your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users