• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Donelson

Bruce Donelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:08 PM

Is there a way to model a detached garage and a house on the same site plan? 

The lot has some floodway issues so I am trying to get accurate elevations for site work and buildings.

So far I can get multiple Building Outlines on the Site Plan, but only one building in the model stack.

Thanks everyone,

Bruce

#2 Bruce Lodge

Bruce Lodge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 10:33 AM

Attached File  screenlog.jpg   75.22KB   2 downloadsI'm probably not understanding, but here are a couple of my buildings on the same site plan.

#3 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted 01 April 2023 - 10:57 AM

Put the detached garage on the same drawing as the house.

#4 John Jones

John Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 10:59 AM

Try the Nest command.

• Jim Johnson and David Zawadzki like this

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 02 April 2023 - 05:22 PM

or ... the "Neighbourhood" command.

• Matthew Dunson likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 01:59 PM

or ... the "Neighbourhood" command.

I would also approach your project with the neighborhood feature since the model will still have problems with stacking due to the different wall heights of your buildings as well as elevation positions on the site. There are two ways you could setup your neighborhood; either inside one of the two building projects or you can create a separate project just for the site and import each floor plan as an individual building. Keeping the buildings separate ensures that any changes made to either one won't affect the other building (such as roofs, materials, etc.) and is constantly updated as you change the plan to the neighborhood site.

• Keith Almond likes this

#7 Bruce Donelson

Bruce Donelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 07:30 PM

Well thanks everyone, very much for the help. 

I erased the Nested garage and replaced it with a Neighborhood garage. This was a real improvement: the new building has a roof, while the Nested one had lost its roof. And from some angles you can see the new roof down in the hole. 

I think that at this point I am going to say that my old-fashioned 2D site plan is good enough and if I never try to convince people that a 3D site plan is superior, that will be just fine.

#8 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 10:40 AM

I think that at this point I am going to say that my old-fashioned 2D site plan is good enough and if I never try to convince people that a 3D site plan is superior, that will be just fine.

SoftPlan has a bunch of useful features, and it is always a matter of trial and error to find what works best for your workflow. The forums have always been one of the best communities to learn about features I never knew existed, or about features that seem complicated to grasp but are easily explained by other users. Sometimes, old-fashioned is the way to go  :lol:

#9 Bruce Donelson

Bruce Donelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 11:34 AM

Yes, I totally love the Users Forum.

SP tech support got back to me also. Colin Moore separated the Main Floors of the garage and the house from their foundations. Then integrated both foundation plans onto the same page and bot main floor plans onto a different drawing. I think the idea is that if the two drawings have the same distance between them you could combine them in one Model Stack and then put them into the Site Plan together. It seems a bit tricky but maybe possible. I will give this a try to see if I can get it to work.

Using Neighborhood I was unable to get the garage to move up and down regardless of how the Building Position setting was configured.

#10 Bruce Donelson

Bruce Donelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 01:58 PM

Tech Support told me that I could edit the Neighborhood building while in Site Mode in the site plan. The Common tab lets you edit the building position.

I woulda never guessed that was an option.

• Matthew Dunson likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Site Plan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users