4 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 May 2023 - 09:33 AM

I have been using SoftPlan for a while now and I was hoping to see any improvements in version 2024 or if anyone knows of a good way to import custom cabinet pulls. Here is a forum I referenced from 2018:

Importing Cabinet Pulls - General Questions - SoftPlan Users Forum

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 18 May 2023 - 11:35 AM

You can import just about anything as a symbol and place it in the appropriate library. Biggest thing with cabinet handles is making sure you get the orientation correct. SP is different than many other programs in what they consider the proper orientation, so check an existing cabinet pull and do the same.

• Matthew Dunson likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 May 2023 - 02:52 PM

Thanks Mark! I just heard back from SoftPlan Support and it is as simple as dragging and dropping the SketchUp model into the file directory. Orientation is based off what it is in Sketchup so that would be my only adjustments I would need to do. I wonder if they would allow users to easily orient custom symbols inside of SoftPlan in the future.

#4 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 18 May 2023 - 03:10 PM

Glad you got it figured out. It is time consuming, but can be done in SoftPlan the old fashioned way...

In SoftPlan, it would have to be brought in as a 3D symbol first. Save the 3D file somewhere you can find it. Either import a 2D plan view or use the SP Symbol Wizard. Link to the 3D file you want. Create the symbol. Orient how you want it to align based on how SP orients cabinet hardware. Place it in a drawing where it is the only thing. Add that drawing to your model stack by itself. Then, it can be saved as a 3D model (by itself). Then, grab it from wherever it was saved and copy it into the cabinet hardware library of your choice as the cabinet pull. But, with smaller symbols it can sometimes be difficult to see what is facing what direction anyway. So, I often orient correctly in SketchUp before importing. Saves some hassles.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#5 Jeremy Plum

Jeremy Plum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationBishop, Ca.

Posted 18 May 2023 - 03:31 PM

can either of you elaborate on the process of just dragging and dropping a sketchup (.skp) file into the Softplan file directory. I'm used to (sort of) doing it the long way like you described Mark. Drag & drop sound too easy... SketchUp is so much easier to model symbols in. 

What SP folder to you drop in? 3D Symbols...maybe.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Jeremy Plum

Plum Design & Construction

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cabinets, Hardware, Cabinet Hardware, Custom Hardware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users