3 replies to this topic

#1 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:34 PM

Is anyone licensed in Michigan that would be willing to work with me on a project.  I have a home designed that is above the 5,000 sf threshold and needs to be reviewed and certified by an architect or an engineer.  The builder I am working with is eager to get the ball rolling.  I have some contacts for such services here in Indiana but not Michigan.  This project is in Coldwater, MIchigan.  If anyone is interested please contact me at brad@chd-llc.com 

#2 Martin Wrobel

Martin Wrobel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:30 PM

Brad

I am in Michigan near Saginaw. If you show the building inspector calculations for Habitable and Non Habitable space. Non Habitable space will be bathrooms, halls, closets, laundry rooms, basements, finished basements etc. If you can show the Habitable space is lower than 3500 sq.ft. it will be required to be sealed. Michigan House Bill 5819 will reference this if i am not mistaken. This has been in place for number of years. I have not seen a building official in Michigan not follow this. I hatch in the space on a drawing and do the calc's. Hope this helps you out.

Martin Wrobel

Superior Home Design

Michigan

Softplan 2024

9th Gen Intel® Core™ i9 9900 (8-Core, 16MB Cache, up to 5GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)\

NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)

64GB Dual Channel HyperX™ FURY DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz

Dark Side of the Moon chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling and 850W Power Supply

#3 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 04:16 PM

Those are some crazy strict requirements you guys have to deal with!!!   Here in Utah, we can design anything residential up to four units attached and two story tall with no license at all....as long as it is reviewed and stamped by a structural engineer.   I'm doing a home right now that is almost 14,000 sf plus 10,000 sf indoor poolhouse.

#4 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:58 AM

Turns out the builder was able to locate an engineer that he was willing to work with.  Thanks for the advice Martin, and I will keep that in mind if/when I run into another project in Michigan.

Sam-A large majority of my work is here in Indiana and we are not hampered with any max. square footage requirements. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users