#1 Edward Shannon

Edward Shannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, Iowa

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:27 PM

For those of us who are not that computer savvy, please point us in the direction to fully update.  Do we need to copy system folders? Other things we need to do?  I have searched this forum and the SP help program for the bests procedure to no avail.  

Edward J Shannon, ArCH/NCARB/LEED GA

#2 Harald Schwegel

Harald Schwegel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:02 AM

Edward,

This was recently discussed here...

http://softplan.com/...551-2020-setup/

Basically, just run the SoftPlan version 2020 setup and follow the prompts.  As long as you haven't customized your folder name you will be prompted to migrate from your current version to the new one.  Your current version will be preserved.  If you are not prompted, or are setting up on a new pc, follow the manual steps outlined in the above link.

Hope this helps.

• John Jones likes this

#3 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:55 AM

As good as the suggestions always go, I strongly recommend that you backup everything before you upgrade.  You can use archive but in my case I periodically backup through windows my project folders.  If something does not go right, and your files are converted, you are out of luck with going back to recovery files, etc.  I tell this for experience years ago.  

#4 Harald Schwegel

Harald Schwegel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:33 PM

While there is no disputing that its always a good idea to have current backups, I feel i need to state this yet again since there seems to be some misconception among our users about how the migration process works.

The Setup migration tool DOES NOT CHANGE your existing files (apart from renaming the folder they are in).  SoftPlan version 2020 installs as a separate program, your existing files are not converted to the new version.  Rather, any files from your previous version are copied to the new installation by the migration tool with the original files remaining unchanged.

Even if something were to 'not go right' during the migration process, it would affect the new installation and not the existing one, with the net result being simply a need to manually copy any missing files from your previous version to the new one.

Hopefully this clears up any confusion.

• John Jones likes this

#5 Edward Shannon

Edward Shannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, Iowa

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:45 PM

For some reason I am not getting the prompt to migrate files.  I installed it a few months ago but have not used it until yesterday.  Do I need to reinstall or is there a way to get it to prompt me?

Edward J Shannon, ArCH/NCARB/LEED GA

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:14 PM

Did you customise the Softplan folder name? If so, It won't prompt you ... Maybe renaming the folder to C:\Softplan may force it to prompt ... I don't think it will change anything, and you can rename it back afterwards, but ... Do so at your own risk!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#7 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:20 PM

I am truly sorry, but a 2 or 3 versions ago I had an issue during an upgrade session.  The tech based on what I described gave me to Mr Jones. who was surprised on what happened.  It has been so long ago I don't even remember the particulars.  So, I do not know what to tell anyone.  If backups are so easy why the hassle of creating your own.  I have the Softplan + so I have the cloud.  I backup numerous times separate from that during the time I am using a version.  While I have not needed these backups (as a last resort) I do it.  It may help in a computer crash, you may need to access an older version for some reason.  Your computer could be stolen and you need immediate access to your data.   I don't know what possible things or situation could arise.  I also keep a backup on a portable drive.  Just what I do.  This has nothing to do with the confidence in SP.  It is just my recommendation, no one has to follow it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users