• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Deron Butler

Deron Butler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:24 PM

Now that we are using the vastly improved 3D capabilities we find that customers are asking us to change certain rendering effects like color. For example, there are a finite number of 8" lap siding colors yet there are millions of colors available through Sherwin Williams.  We are looking for a way to type in a specific paint code (RGB or the CY... one) in such a way that the siding texture remains. Each time i've tried it the texture disappears and i end up with exterior walls that are the desired color but look nothing like siding anymore since the horizontal lines disappear.  Any suggestions?

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:22 PM

Have a look at this thread ... It will do exactly what you require. http://softplan.com/...olor-of-sidings

The key is to ensure that DEPTH RELIEF is enabled.

• Tom Rogers likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Deron Butler

Deron Butler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:38 AM

Thank you Keith.  I'll take a look at that.

#4 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:19 AM

Ideally you should rely on the siding profile within the wall definition to create the siding appearance. That will open up the ability to modify the color as much as you like as no lines are required to be part of the texture(Do not use the Auto match to Texture).

If you prefer to see lines with your siding, turn on the 'Display Lines' under the Mode Options, Line Options tab. Select the Use Single Color for lines.

This will also open up the ability to use the Depth Relief to depict a wood grain if you use a texture that is simply a wood sample without any siding lines(Turn off the Auto match to Texture option).

Attached File  Siding.JPG   89.46KB   1 downloads

• John Jones, Keith Almond, Steve and Carla Farnam and 1 other like this

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:16 AM

All my siding walls rely on the actual texture, and don't have any profiles set ... and I suspect that a large number of users are in the same boat.

I've often thought about adding duplicate definitions that only use profiles and colours, but procrastinator that I am, have never found the time to create them ... Although one at a time should be quite quick ...

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Mark Beard

Mark Beard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 02:04 PM

On this topic, has anyone noticed any performance decrease and/or lag when using profiles vs textures on walls? I could be over analyzing this lately but since I’ve started experimenting more with the profiles in my wall definitions and it seems that may be happening. I’m sure there are more lines for the pc to process when working in 3D views vs. a textured image applied to a surface.

Just curious...

Mark Beard

LifeStage Home Designs
Office: 919.630.1224

Your future is in our plans

#7 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 July 2019 - 03:24 PM

In softplan No. 

In lumion yes, as it is calculating all the additional shadows and edges.

#8 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:38 AM

Example of siding textures using colors. All sidings in this were created using color, depth relief and lighting settings.

The color box was checked and texture box not checked when editing the surface. With the exception of the stone.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users