Trey Strock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:57 PM

Hi.

Looking to make use of Layers.

Hoping that someone has a template or list of their tried and true standard Layers that they wouldn't mind sharing?

I have seen standardized layers for commercial architects but those are much more complicated and in depth than my needs.

Any advice on getting started with Layers would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you,

Trey Strock

Charleston, SC

#2 David Bearss

David Bearss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationHood River, Oregon

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:27 PM

Trey,
I dont have an answer but am interested in where you might have acquired the commercial layer sets?
  • Trey Strock likes this

#3 Trey Strock

Trey Strock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:18 PM

David
I ran across it on the inter-webs.  Will post a copy here for you.

------------------------------------Attached File  Plan Sets Standard Layer Names.htm   59.18KB   531 downloads

#4 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:04 PM

Wow!  I usually only had 20 or so in autocad.

#5 Trey Strock

Trey Strock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:32 AM

Dennis

And that is what I am trying to get my mitts on, is a pared down layers list that is much more suitable for residential than large commercial.

Any hints on where I might find such a list?

Thank you,

Trey

#6 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:19 AM

I made my own and it was based on what I needed to show and how to show it in a set of plans.  It morphed as I went along.  I believe that your list of layers would be custom to your situation.

I once picked up window details for a specific brand of window.  They were terrible.  Several hundred layers in each detail.  Hardly a layer had two lines on it.

#7 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:48 AM

There is no "standard" when it comes to residential work. In commercial work the list above is very similar to AIA suggested. As Dennis stated it really depends upon how you want to use this program. The "visible items" control we have is sorely lacking (especially with symbols- they should NOT be all grouped together!) and so taking the time to set up layering and how you want it is a personal preference. I just wish we could have a "freeze" and a "thaw" button for layers! That would be huge.

So, in a nutshell: what do want and how do you want things to show in different views? Then make your layers accordingly.

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:10 PM

Warren Ducote posted a list of his layers here http://softplan.com/...-modes/?p=26164 If you ask nicely, he may give you the full list.

However, as Gary said Make whatever layers you think you need ... There is no standard. Use a few or many depending on your drawing preference. I tend to use few with DEFAULT, WHITE and HIDDEN being the most prevalent.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Layers, template

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users