#1 Kenneth Volanti

Kenneth Volanti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCrown Point, IN

Posted 25 March 2021 - 06:57 PM

Hello,

This is my first post here. I'm looking to purchase a new laptop for work and some occasional gaming and I am trying to decide between 2 different machines.

The first option is the Razer Blade 15 Advanced Gaming Laptop 2021: Intel Core i7-10875H 8-Core, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 15.6” QHD 240Hz, 32GB RAM. Cost is $2,900

The second option is Razer Blade 15 Studio Edition Laptop 2020: Intel Core i7-10875H 8-Core, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000, 15.6” 4K OLED Touch, 32GB RAM. Cost is $3,800

The biggest difference is the graphics card, getting the GeForce RTX 3080 or the Quadro RTX 5000, and the cost difference of the machines. The second option has a touch screen but I would prefer to not have that anyway, so that is a non-factor. But I was wondering if it is worth the additional $900 to get the Quadro card for using Softplan or if the GeForce will be just fine because I will be using it for a little gaming here and there, and I know the GeForce will be a better option for that purpose.

My workflow is architecture/engineering using Revit, Photoshop, AutoCAD, 3dsMax, and Softplan mostly. Creating drawings to renderings. Let me know your opinion to help me decide.

Thank you

#2 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 07:16 AM

I have a blade 15 and love it.  I think mine has the RTX 3070 card.  I would buy another Razer for sure.

• Kenneth Volanti likes this

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 March 2021 - 10:00 AM

This should make it easy for you then ...

From Softplan's Website.

What type of video card does SoftPlan require?

Workstation class graphics cards, such as the NVIDIA Quadro® series and the AMD Radeon Pro (formerly FirePro™) series, are NOT recommended as they tend to deliver poor performance when used with SoftPlan, which is designed to take advantage of features provided by so called ‘gaming’ cards, features which most workstation cards lack.

• Kenneth Volanti likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Kenneth Volanti

Kenneth Volanti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCrown Point, IN

Posted 26 March 2021 - 11:58 AM

thank you, that helps a lot

#5 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, Ks

Posted 26 March 2021 - 12:17 PM

So, Keith, are you saying a Gaming configured/built computer is what I should be looking at...mine is very long in the "tooth"....better than 10 years and I am staring to see some isues with occassional freezes\pauses that are quite annoying to say the least .

Harlon G. " Buddy " Suttle
casekc49@gmail.com
CELL: 913-339-6242

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 March 2021 - 06:07 PM

Yes, if I was building a new computer for Softplan, it would definitely be a gaming system.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#7 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, Ks

Posted 26 March 2021 - 06:32 PM

thank you

Harlon G. " Buddy " Suttle