#1 Sam Allen

Sam Allen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 24 October 2015 - 02:15 PM

I'm just beginning with Softlist and am immediately confused.  My 9' walls show the correct precuts in the report but my 10' walls show as full 10' studs instead of the precut length.  I have so say the whole formula thing seems way beyond me in this first week of trying to make this work.....and as if this isn't enough...some windows don't show up in the reports either.  Is there something else to check besides the include in Softlist?

I hope I'm not asking too much to handle at once.

thanks in advance....Sam

#2 Sam Allen

Sam Allen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:54 PM

I figured them both out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:54 PM

Typically, 8' walls use 92-5/8" precut studs and 9' walls use 104-5/8" precut studs. These are readily available. However, as far as I am aware there are no precut studs available for 10' walls. Therefore the contractor must buy 10' studs and cut them to length himself.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:57 PM

SoftList is an incredibly powerful tool but it is also very math and formula driven.

It must be this way to allow power users the flexibilty to do an accurate takepoff / material list on virtually anything in SoftPlan.

That said it takes patience and study to learn how the formulas work.

There are formulas that come with SoftPlan for 8 ft and 9 ft precut studs.

There is no formula for 10 ft precut studs so it will only report the rounded off stud size.

Rather than trying to reinvent the formula you might find someone here that has created one and also you can call Tech Support and ask them if they hacve done that.

If the windows are not showing up on the report it may be that they have not been assigned a sequence number whichg determines where they will show up.

If this is a product code window that you cretaed then you must assign a sequence number that will put it in the report.

You can find a list of sequence ranges in the SoftList.

SoftList Sequence.jpg

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:11 PM

I wouldn't even try to figure a formula for 10' precut studs until you ascertain whether such an item is actually available.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#6 Sam Allen

Sam Allen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:52 PM

Keith...we use them on most every project we do here in Texas....10' plate height is almost standard here except for the tract builders who use 9' plates......

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 07:35 PM

We're still at 8' generally ... Some 9' but 10' is VERY rare as a standard. Obviously we have some rooms that high, but NOT entire floors.

Keith

#8 John Luther

John Luther

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationHungerford, TX

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:58 AM

I guess it is a good idea to stick with the old 8' PLT HGT in Canada, otherwise your best heated air is at the ceiling. : - )

Seriously, 9' and 10' PLT HGTs are common in Texas, and builder lumberyards stock studs for typical 9' and 10' walls.

Exterior wall sheathing is also available in 4'x9' and 4'x10'.   

John Luther

Hungerford, TX 

www.brotherscustomworks.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Softlist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users