• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Colin Freichels

Colin Freichels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 02:02 PM

Does anyone know how(or if) I can add/remove materials from the Wall Definition materials dropdown?

It would be really nice to be able to set up specific siding types (vinyl, LP, fiber cement, etc.) instead of having to constantly remember that I use "siding A" for vinyl, "siding B" for LP, and so on. We have multiple users so the more straightforward I can make it the better it will be for our accuracy when things pull into Softlist. Plus then I can make sure that we have the proper materials in the correct wall types.

• Michael Landry, Mark Petri, Jim Johnson and 3 others like this

#2 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 February 2024 - 05:00 PM

I would really really really appreciate your idea being implemented!!!

• Colin Freichels likes this

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 February 2024 - 08:26 PM

As far as I'm aware, you're constrained to the predefined material lists.

We have asked for user defined materials in the past, but it hasn't happened yet. Even just being able to rename a material would be handy sometimes.

• Allen McDonnell and Colin Freichels like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 11:42 AM

I think the easiest way is,  if to go to system options, wall definitions and take say a 2x4 siding wall and save as a say ?  2x4 board and batten or ? Vinyl, and change the materials what I need.  

Another pointer for discussion, is one I sorta argued with an architect, 

was he was making a say 2x4 siding wall at 8'   and another definition at 9' and another one for 10' walls and another one for 12' wall, all as a 2x4 siding.

I believe the logic with softplan is you draw the 8' wall there then edit it to say a 10' wall and your done, all the additional walls you draw of any material definition will now come in as a 10' wall.

Just thought I would throw that out there

• David Zawadzki likes this

#5 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 24 February 2024 - 12:00 PM

Does anyone know how(or if) I can add/remove materials from the Wall Definition materials dropdown?

It would be really nice to be able to set up specific siding types (vinyl, LP, fiber cement, etc.) instead of having to constantly remember that I use "siding A" for vinyl, "siding B" for LP, and so on. We have multiple users so the more straightforward I can make it the better it will be for our accuracy when things pull into Softlist. Plus then I can make sure that we have the proper materials in the correct wall types.

A speed note added to your elevations stating the exterior wall cover material should work.

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#6 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 12:04 PM

@Fred Russel,

Yes, I agree that most wall types should be fine with one unique wall definition and if the wall is setup properly, making the height adjustments should scale accordingly. I think that making a list of pre-defined heights of your walls with locked material dimensions that do not scale would be beneficial in a modular aspect where walls are consistently at a determined height and would make designing new structures faster since SoftPlan does default to 8ft (primarily since most of the pre-assembled walls are at 96" in their definition but are able to scale) and any adjustments have to be made at the start of each project. I do like how it does remember your wall height for connecting walls so that only the first wall needs to be adjusted and any other walls drawn will have those same height properties. Small features like that are often overlooked with other CAD programs and I appreciate SoftPlan's attention to detail and user experience.

What I hope to see in the future is the ability to offset the profiles we add to wall materials for better alignment. For instance, if I have a Board & Batten wall, I could offset the profile so that the batten strip is on the center of a window or that it aligns visually. Currently I add the profiles and hope that it aligns somewhat aesthetically for rendering purposes.

• Wesley Penner likes this

#7 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 24 February 2024 - 12:28 PM

@Fred Russel,

Yes, I agree that most wall types should be fine with one unique wall definition and if the wall is setup properly, making the height adjustments should scale accordingly. I think that making a list of pre-defined heights of your walls with locked material dimensions that do not scale would be beneficial in a modular aspect where walls are consistently at a determined height and would make designing new structures faster since SoftPlan does default to 8ft (primarily since most of the pre-assembled walls are at 96" in their definition but are able to scale) and any adjustments have to be made at the start of each project. I do like how it does remember your wall height for connecting walls so that only the first wall needs to be adjusted and any other walls drawn will have those same height properties. Small features like that are often overlooked with other CAD programs and I appreciate SoftPlan's attention to detail and user experience.

What I hope to see in the future is the ability to offset the profiles we add to wall materials for better alignment. For instance, if I have a Board & Batten wall, I could offset the profile so that the batten strip is on the center of a window or that it aligns visually. Currently I add the profiles and hope that it aligns somewhat aesthetically for rendering purposes.

Maybe you could set up a "Start" project with your basic wall heights, material files, etc. and then copy that project to your new drawing.

As for offsetting the profiles, the future is here...  Right click on the exterior finish and then click on Surface Edit.  Next, click on the option tab in the window that pops open and you will see where you can change either the horizontal or vertical.

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#8 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 01:37 PM

you can also draw the whole thing at eight foot, then edit one wall then do a block repeat edit and change all to 10' real quick.

Block repeat edit is super useful

#9 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 24 February 2024 - 02:36 PM

And don't forget the Edit - Wall Height tool

Softplan user since 1989

#10 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 06:52 PM

Is that a right click thing.  I always forget about right clicking

#11 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 03:41 PM

No it's on the EDIT menu. Wall Height.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#12 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 03:44 PM

... I believe the logic with softplan is you draw the 8' wall there then edit it to say a 10' wall and your done, all the additional walls you draw of any material definition will now come in as a 10' wall ...

Doesn't quite work like that ...

Any wall you draw FROM another wall takes on the height attributes of the wall you drew it FROM.

If you draw from a blank spot TO another wall, It defaults to the wall height in the definition.

• David Zawadzki, Matthew Dunson and Colin Freichels like this
Keith

#13 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 11:03 AM

Maybe you could set up a "Start" project with your basic wall heights, material files, etc. and then copy that project to your new drawing.

As for offsetting the profiles, the future is here...  Right click on the exterior finish and then click on Surface Edit.  Next, click on the option tab in the window that pops open and you will see where you can change either the horizontal or vertical.

I know SoftPlan has the ability to offset a wall surface texture however when I do a surface edit on a wall with a 3D profile and a texture, the actual profile doesn't offset if I surface edit to make any adjustments, I believe this is only a setting to offset the actual surface texture. I am not sure if I am missing something, but my profile does not adjust, only the texture applied to the surface.

#14 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 26 February 2024 - 12:40 PM

I know SoftPlan has the ability to offset a wall surface texture however when I do a surface edit on a wall with a 3D profile and a texture, the actual profile doesn't offset if I surface edit to make any adjustments, I believe this is only a setting to offset the actual surface texture. I am not sure if I am missing something, but my profile does not adjust, only the texture applied to the surface.

You are correct. It is only the rendering/model texture that offsets. Often if SP sees that the same exact wall material (drywall or siding, etc.) is used between walls it will try to clean them up and make the profiles align/stack properly. It doesn't always work. A clean up of the model or of offending walls sometimes helps.

• Matthew Dunson likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#15 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 26 February 2024 - 02:24 PM

I have found that closing down the 3d model image and then reopening will sometimes fix the alignment of like sided wall textures.

#16 Colin Freichels

Colin Freichels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 09:47 AM

A speed note added to your elevations stating the exterior wall cover material should work.

Yeah, I have that set up in our wall sections so getting the right material installed isn't the issue. I'm looking to actually rename the material so when it pulls into SoftList I can know which material name equals which material type.

#17 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 28 February 2024 - 10:20 AM

Yeah, I have that set up in our wall sections so getting the right material installed isn't the issue. I'm looking to actually rename the material so when it pulls into SoftList I can know which material name equals which material type.

I would like to see a finish schedule added to the notes that would show the actual material and paint colors that are used from the catalogs in SoftPlan in the project we are working on.
  • Keith Almond and Colin Freichels like this

Softplan user since 1989

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: softlist, materials, wall, definitions

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users