3 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 17 June 2024 - 05:26 PM

I am needing to use a custom drawing mode to show plumbing however I do not know if anyone else noticed but the layers for dimensions/extensions don't work the same way with custom drawing modes versus the pre-defined ones in the system. For instance, Dimensions are separated when in Drawing Mode & Electrical Mode. The user can add unique dimensions to both Electric & Drawing Mode without the dimensions showing up on all the drawing modes. However, when I go into Custom Mode 1 (Plumbing) that is a user defined layer, when I go into the Options, Visible Items, I enable Dimensions for my new custom drawing mode, but it adds the dimensions from the original floor plan in Drawing Mode rather than a dimensions layer that is separated like Electrical Mode. This is very cumbersome because the only way to not have them show on your custom drawing mode is to assign all dimensions and extensions from the main Drawing Mode to a layer and disable that layer in the custom drawing mode. This becomes very time consuming and what I am requesting is that SoftPlan changes the behavior of custom drawing modes to behave like the default ones where dimensions and extensions are attached to the current mode you are in. If anyone else has another solution that doesn't require assigning dimensions/extensions to a layer or if it is an option I am missing in the system options, I am all ears.

#2 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 18 June 2024 - 08:02 AM

Nope. That is the only way to do it presently. It isn't that big of a deal IF you remember the custom layer part in advance. One thing that I do to help me know is to change the color of the dimensions and extensions at the layer level so it is easily seen if I am on the right layer or not.

#3 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 June 2024 - 10:45 AM

I just got a response back from SoftPlan Support and they told me to use the 'Group Selection' tool to add the dimensions to a new layer all at once and disable the layer in the custom drawing mode. The reason why the dimensions do not behave like the default drawing modes is so that the user doesn't need to redraw the existing dimensions. I totally overlooked this tool since I had used it in the past, but this becomes useful with my workflow where it becomes important to layer similarly grouped objects.

#4 Bill Wimberley

Bill Wimberley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationSan Angelo, TX

Posted 20 June 2024 - 07:21 AM

I have custom layers set up for each of my custom modes. For example, I have HVAC and Plumbing custom modes. I also have HVAC and Plumbing layers.

In HVAC and Plumbing custom modes I have the visibility for Dimensions and Extensions turned off.

SoftPlan allows you to select a default layer for each mode. You do this by clicking the Active Layer button at the top of the screen and selecting the layer you want to automatically be assigned to new items drawn in that mode.

Now when you draw your extensions and dimensions in that mode they will automatically be assigned that layer. Layers visibilities override the general visibility settings so the dimensions will only be visible in that mode, assuming the layer is only visible in that mode. Since the dimensions and extensions are assigned to a layer and that layer is visible the dimensions and extensions are visible, even though the visibility for dimensions and extensions are turned off.

Attached Files

• Attached File  hvac.jpg   104.01KB   0 downloads

• Wesley Penner, RUSSELL LITTEN and David Zawadzki like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Drawing Mode, Layers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users