5 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 August 2024 - 08:12 AM

I have a client that wants a bay window that would be "all" glass, minimal framing, and a glass roof. Is there an (easy) way to draw that in SP?

#2 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 29 August 2024 - 08:29 AM

Seems I saw something like that in symbols years back

#3 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 August 2024 - 10:10 AM

Here are two SoftPlan threads that may be to your interest:

4 season room - SoftPlan 2022 - SoftPlan Users Forum

Sun Rooms - SoftPlan 2016 - SoftPlan Users Forum

One explains a method with SoftPlan tools while the other is an imported Sketchup file

The 4 Seasons room thread explains how there was the use of casement windows however your specific request is a bay window with all glass and minimum framing. What I would do is create a new wall for your glass material and manually add your mullion window frames with either solids or even metal posts. I would do your top perimeter framing out of a beam so you can reference a roof to the edge of the wall without needing to define the glass wall as load bearing. This will allow you to assign the thickness and shape of your roof to follow the wall outline as well as applying a transparent material to the roof itself to represent glass if needed. Using the 'Fit Beam to Roof' feature allows you to adjust the beam to the shape of the roof so you can create the roofing members that support the glass. This will give you the most control of the size of your window segments while achieving the "all glass" appearance.

#4 Lawrence Fitzgerald

Lawrence Fitzgerald

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 August 2024 - 08:45 PM

Is that type of window available?

#5 Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 September 2024 - 07:25 AM

Here are two SoftPlan threads that may be to your interest:

4 season room - SoftPlan 2022 - SoftPlan Users Forum

Sun Rooms - SoftPlan 2016 - SoftPlan Users Forum

One explains a method with SoftPlan tools while the other is an imported Sketchup file

The 4 Seasons room thread explains how there was the use of casement windows however your specific request is a bay window with all glass and minimum framing. What I would do is create a new wall for your glass material and manually add your mullion window frames with either solids or even metal posts. I would do your top perimeter framing out of a beam so you can reference a roof to the edge of the wall without needing to define the glass wall as load bearing. This will allow you to assign the thickness and shape of your roof to follow the wall outline ad well as applying a transparent material to the roof itself to represent glass if needed. Using the 'Fit Beam to Roof' feature allows you to adjust the beam to the shape of the roof so you can create the roofing members that support the glass. This will give you the most control of the size of your window segments while achieving the "all glass" appearance.

That should do it, thank you for the thread!

#6 Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 September 2024 - 07:25 AM

Is that type of window available?

My window rep is working on it. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users