perpendicular line

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Robert_*

Guest_Robert_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:59 AM

How do you draw a line perpendicular to an existing line that is at an odd angle

• admin likes this

#2 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:19 PM

Don't know if there's an easier way but you can use a box. Unlock the cursor lock first, activate cursor snap, select box and draw the box snapping to your line on that angle. Then, explode the box and erase unwanted lines.
  • admin likes this

#3 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:23 PM

I can think of three ways to do this ...

1/  Copy the line on the angle. Rotate the copied line and select the angle to rotate (90 degrees).

2/  Edit the line on the angle. Add 90 degrees to the number. Draw a new line and edit it to the new angle.

3/ Go to Draw > Options > Cursor Options > Pick Cursor Axis.  Click on the line which is on the angle and the cursor will rotate.

You can now draw a line perpendicular to it.

• admin likes this

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:36 PM

Press F11 to turn SNAP on, start anywhere you want and draw a line close to perpendicular. You will get a red symbol a small square within an "L" to show perpendicular, and it will then snap to the original line.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Ron Mejeur

Ron Mejeur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationKalalmazoo, Mi

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:48 PM

If I understand this correctly, I would use the offset command.  Click on the line, use the offset command (type O on my system) and offset distance you want. 

Ron Mejeur

#6 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:37 AM

If I understand this correctly, I would use the offset command.  Click on the line, use the offset command (type O on my system) and offset distance you want.

This gives you a parallel line, not perpendicular although it's not a bad idea. If you offset your line and then turn snap on, you can draw a line either from the center to center of your 2 lines or the end points and that will give you a perpendicular line (90 degree) from your original line.

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:26 AM

Offset and then rotate 90 degrees.

#8 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:13 AM

I use Steve's method #3. I use it so much that I even have the "Pick Cursor Axis" assigned to a shortcut key. Really quick to get a perpendicular line this way.

Phil

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users