Stairway window- split between floors

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Scott G_*

Guest_Scott G_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:15 AM

How do I put a window at the mid-landing of the stairway that will be between floors? As normal floor stacking design, half the window gets cut off from the other wall.

#2 D M

D M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Location..

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:27 PM

Wall for landing area should be created from a Second Floor Wall and Offset Down

Create a segment of Main Floor Wall with a lower height

Second Floor Wall Panel wall height is the 2nd floor wall height plus depth required ..  to fit into 'buck' on Main Floor'

Offset this taller Second Floor Wall DOWN the required dimension.

Position Landing Window Offset as desired.

.. invariably, someone will have a simpler solution.

#3 Guest_scott_*

Guest_scott_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:54 AM

Ok, i am following you on that process. It seems a bit cumbersome and I think it would be helpful if Softplan would put in a feature to "Avoid Floors" similar the "header" checkbox when putting windows above each other to avoid blocking of the windows.

Thank you much!!!

#4 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:45 AM

When ever an opening drops below the bottom plate into the floor below you can use the "cross opening" placed on the lower floor and adjusted to fit the opening in the higher floor.  This is especially useful for garage doors.

#5 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:58 AM

The "avoid floors" idea, while interesting, may be a problem because SoftPlan is also trying to create a materials list, generate wall framing diagrams, etc..

An "avoid floors" tools would mess up the double top plate of the wall below, require a "portion" of the opening to be framed into the wall below, and wouldn't reflect how that situation would actually be framed (balloon frame the wall)...

And not really so much "avoid floor" (as there really won't be a floor there) as "multiple story window opening"

I think the framing of the opening in two separate walls would make this really complicated for SoftPlan... The wall below would need jack studs installed that would also be part of the wall framing above (how would that work?), double top plate framing would need to be broken / relocated, etc... I think it would be a mess IMHO...

But yes, it would be faster for just pure "modeling" without regard for the wall framing, or how it would really be constructed...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users