10 replies to this topic

#1 John Luther

John Luther

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationHungerford, TX

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:47 AM

I have imported pdfs for various reasons.

I imported a pdf today (structural engineering) that was originally hand drawn (old school dude), then scanned and printed to pdf.

In the past, it seems (maybe I'm wrong) I have been able to draw over the pdf, but this pdf covers what I draw or note.

Is there something I am missing?

In the meantime, I am using an image of the pdf.

John Luther

Hungerford, TX 

www.brotherscustomworks.com

#2 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:22 AM

• the best I've figured is the PDF now has a white, which is the blank part covering the background

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,102 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:34 PM

No, there's nothing you are missing. JPG's seem to be automatically behind the drawing, and PDF's seem to be in front. I haven't been able to find a way round it either.

• Matt Orner likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 John Luther

John Luther

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationHungerford, TX

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:02 PM

pdfs are so much cleaner - easier to read......maybe I was wrong about noting - drawing on pdfs

Thanks

John Luther

Hungerford, TX 

#5 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:56 PM

Why can you not create a multi drawing and then work on the active with the pdf as the non active?

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:46 PM

The PDF's are still in the front!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#7 John Luther

John Luther

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationHungerford, TX

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:35 PM

The pdf is a new Foundation Plan - and site (200 acre cattle ranch) had grandfather - father built home we demolished. Site was best on the ranch and sentimental with about 12 - 50 to 100 year old oak trees planted by family. The old home and new homes have drilled and reamed piers under structural slab, and overlay was required to check for old piers in conflict with new.   

We had footprint - pier locations of old foundation created on site at demo in a new SoftPlan drawing, and the pdf. All worked with image file import of pdf, but I did draw the PEs Foundation Plan with SP for future use, after posting this AM. 

We moved new foundation (polygon footprint) 4 times on paper for best result – only of 17 of 52 piers in conflict (no problem with backhoe), while maintaining a safe distance from oak trees.  

If I could figure out how to upload media to My Media - I could share a drawing or 2 for better understanding.

John Luther

Hungerford, TX 

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:33 AM

John, if it's a true vector PDF and not a raster graphic in a PDF wrapper. You can import it into INKSCAPE, and SAVE AS a DXF drawing. You can then import the DXF into Softplan (and use EDIT > ADJUST SIZE to make it accurate). Then put it on it's OWN LAYER or it's own DRAWING and overlay it with your project.

Keith

#9 John Luther

John Luther

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationHungerford, TX

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:51 AM

Thanks Keith. Would an original hand drawn foundation plan have certain vector and raster properties?

Anyway......all is well, as I created a SoftPlan version of the PE's hand drawn plan yesterday.

HO choice before I was involved - I never worked with this PE before - it is definitely "ARCHaic".

The forum software is not like the old - has me wondering how to upload media (to My Media) - so I could share a drawing or 2 for better understanding

John Luther

Hungerford, TX 

#10 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:59 PM

Thanks Keith. Would an original hand drawn foundation plan have certain vector and raster properties?

Anyway......all is well, as I created a SoftPlan version of the PE's hand drawn plan yesterday.

HO choice before I was involved - I never worked with this PE before - it is definitely "ARCHaic".

The forum software is not like the old - has me wondering how to upload media (to My Media) - so I could share a drawing or 2 for better understanding

Any drawing that is scanned in will be raster based. Only PDFs that were exported from a program like AutoCAD are going to come across as vector.

#11 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:45 PM

Any drawing that is scanned in will be raster based. Only PDFs that were exported from a program like AutoCAD are going to come across as vector.

Right, I missed (forgot) to scanned bit in the original post ...

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users