#1 Terry Babcock

Terry Babcock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationRochester Minnesota

Posted 17 September 2016 - 12:15 PM

there has been quite a bit of discussion on pole building wall types recently.  I have a wall assembly if anyone needs it for multiple color of steel on sidewalls.  Its just a quick rework of the polebarn wall in the extended library, but may save a little work.  shoot me an email and I can send it your way.

Endres Rend 1.jpg

EDGE DESIGN GROUP

5234 80TH AVE SW

BYRON, MN 55920

terry@rochester-for-sale.com

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." Ken Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

#2 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:59 PM

terry

i'm helping ron sirolli with a pole barn

(btw,  i've never designed a pole barn building)

the problem we're having is when we "fit to roof"  on the gable end.

the girts (or whatever their called) slope with the roof - just in the gable part -

what are we doing wrong or is there something else to do with the wall

when we hit "fit to roof"

click to enlarge

pole barn picture.JPG

sloped girts ?  how to fix this ?

i've tried fitting to roof with the girts fixed and not fixed.

I was thinking using solids for the horizontal girts in the gable

pole barn picture 2.JPG

if anyone would like > ron would appreciate your pole barn walls

and any tips on pole bars.

===================================================

RON contact info:

you can email RON at  ::::::   sirollic@comcast.net

or call - cell:  609.820.1062  new jersey

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:28 AM

Interesting.

Not sure how our specs differ, but with my definition I get this.

How are you defining the girts. Mine is defined as a profile, which may be the difference (it also makes the definition a lot simpler).

I have to admit here, that the original idea to use a profile came from Derrik Bauer. See this thread ... http://softplan.com/...rlins-pole-barn

2016.09.21_09h18m20s_001.png

Enclosed my wall definition, if it helps, it uses a profile with 2" x 6" girts, but I doubt that that is the issue.

2016.09.21_10h48m00s_002.png

One suggestion define the original wall height as higher than the ridge height. Try defining it as 30ft high, and edit down for the plan. Although just checking, mine is only defined as 97" high, so that may not be the issue either.

I've just realised that an edit to the wall is in order. Typically (or more accurately, correctly) pole barns use a 2" x 10" at the bottom so that the siding can finish 6" above grade.

Revised definition and Zip file Added. My system wall was edited to what I think the drawing definition was. Hope I did it right!

Attached Files

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:29 AM

Are your vertical strapping set to Fix in your wall definition Randy. Not sure if that could be the cause.

#5 Terry Babcock

Terry Babcock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:24 PM

first of all....enough with the girts (sounds like a people from another planet who died out a millennia ago)....just kidding.  I know many regions have lots of different terms for many parts and pieces.

Here they are purlins.

a shot of my wall type with the purlins (they seem to run straight- trying to figure why Randy's were giving him grief...ack) and test bldg attached.  not re-inventing what everyone else has already posted- but it does have 2 siding types on the wall which is handy.  lots of pole buildings here have a couple colors or even different profiles on the same wall.

• Mike Adams likes this

EDGE DESIGN GROUP

5234 80TH AVE SW

BYRON, MN 55920

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." Ken Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

#6 Terry Babcock

Terry Babcock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:27 PM

wall type

Attached Thumbnails

• POLE BUILD WALL DEF.JPG

EDGE DESIGN GROUP

5234 80TH AVE SW

BYRON, MN 55920

#7 Terry Babcock

Terry Babcock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:28 PM

test building

Attached Thumbnails

• TEST PB WALL PURLINS.jpg

EDGE DESIGN GROUP

5234 80TH AVE SW

BYRON, MN 55920

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:46 PM

I suspect that "ours" run straight because they are profiles. Randy and Ron may have defined separate horizontal members.

I remember designing a wall (quite a while ago) with stone veneer on the bottom, stone sill and siding above, where the sill always followed the line of the gable when it was fitted to the roof. Softplan's advice - and it may still be relevant - "Define all the items that you don't want to follow the line of the roof in the bottom half of the wall".

If Randy and Ron have defined the horizontal members separately, then I suspect that if the wall has been defined as twice the height that it will finish up as, then that also may work. So if this wall was defined 30' high, and all the horizontal member are defined up to 15', then if the wall is fitted to a roof that's less than 15' high, the horizontal members may work. However, defining each horizontal member is much more tedious than using a profile. I would test it, but haven't got the patience to work through that definition, and then find it doesn't work anyway.

The advantage with the profile is it will work equally for ANY height of wall.

"Girts" - (I agree it's an awful word) is a term I've only come across recently, because of pole barns. However, to me "Purlins" are always ROOF members. Previously I've referred to horizontal wall members (rightly or wrongly) as "strapping".

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#9 Ron Sirolli

Ron Sirolli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 04:03 AM

Terry And Keith i am going to post my wall i made for the pole barn walls i nevery posted a picture so bare with me i an going to try

randy is a big help but they donot do pole barns in his area . in new Jersey they are here

Attached Thumbnails

• Wall softplan pole barn.PNG

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:12 AM

Your problem is definitely that the horizontal furrings are defined separately. Have a look at how both Terry and myself have defined the wall with a profile. I'd go with that method.

Keith

#11 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:44 AM

May I suggest 2 pressure treated tongue and groove 2x6 skirt boards along the bottom to keep flooring material inside the building, along with a double 2x10 header board for top course, to support roof load?
SOFTPLAN user since 1991

www.idahocustomhomes.weebly.com

#12 Steven Wohlgemuth

Steven Wohlgemuth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick Canada

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:41 AM

Here is a wall I've been working on. My problem now is that the wall strapping (horizontal 2x4) does not calculate in softlist! What am i doing wrong?

Attached Thumbnails

• Wall Def.jpg
  • Wall Def 2.jpg

#13 Paul Tacy

Paul Tacy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationWestern Mass.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:25 PM

I'm trying to figure this out.  I'm afraid I don't know what Keith means by setting up the purlins as "profiles".  Looking at all the wall definitions posted, I can't make out what is a profile as opposed to being defined separately.  I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the term.

Also, as David mentioned, there needs to be something (beam between posts) to support the roof load.  I don't see this in Terry's model.

Also, would the purlins on the posts take the place of a gable end truss?  If there would be a gable end truss, how would it be detailed?

Please help me understand.

Paul

#14 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:12 PM

Paul, have a look at my (or Terry's) wall definition ... or even download mine from the zip file attached to the post.

PROFILES are defined in Softplan's System library - for example: baseboards and mouldings generally - in this case the girts (purlins) are defined as a standard profile (which is made up of the girt itself and the space between).

2017.04.21_10h20m36s_001.png

I don't show the beams to support the roof i the wall definition (although it can be done), I normally add a split beam definition at high level so that it specifically shows on plan.

... Also, would the purlins on the posts take the place of a gable end truss? ...

Yes, there wouldn't be a gable end truss, the pole barn wall serves that purpose.

Keith

#15 Daniel Zanoli

Daniel Zanoli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:44 AM

Attached File  12' Ceiling.pdf   222.21KB   102 downloadsThe LSL beams on the bearing wall hang past the corner post 1.5", and the gable truss sits on top of the beams. Which in turn puts the gable truss flush with the girts on the gable wall. The post on the gable walls are 4' taller than the bearing wall. You get to nail the gable truss to the post which run wild on the inside past the top girt. There are no girts on the gable truss. On the gable wall tell the siding only to extend to roof over gable truss. Total dimensions are girt to girt on the bearing wall. Then put yout post at 8'-0" o.c.

#16 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:35 AM

I stand corrected. I should get out "in the field" more ... if only I had the time ...

Keith

#17 Daniel Zanoli

Daniel Zanoli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

I'm working on a polebarn right now. Everyone who comes to Bois Blanc Island usually build a polebarn first. Then build thier cottage. Kieth I only wish I new as much about softplan as the rest of you.... Thanks for all the advise. Its almost like you guys are sitting in the next cubicle and I get to ask you questions when I'm struggling. This site totally rocks 

#18 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:44 PM

You're welcome anytime Daniel.

Keith

#19 Daniel Zanoli

Daniel Zanoli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:56 PM

Attached File  p.b.wall.pdf   82.05KB   116 downloadsThis is the wall I built. Only thing missing is the post themselves. Both beams and all the girts are part of the wall. Remember.. Steel sheething comes in 3'-0" wide sheets. That goes for the roof and the walls..I remember back in the olden days we didnt use screws. Ribbed Polebarn nails, half way through the job your fingers were so sore you were gun shy on every swing of the hammer. :D

Attached Thumbnails

• Previous View.jpg

#20 Guest_Derrik Bauer_*

Guest_Derrik Bauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:14 AM

We call them "Neo Nails".  Just had to special order some in for a customer who doesn't want to use screws.  We see that once every 3-4 years.  When I first started we stocked them bulk!  

Your wall looks great!  Can you share a screenshot of the wall def?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users