4 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:30 PM

I am considering a new notebook purchase and found a touch screen capable unit with I7 processor, 512 Gb SSD, 2 TB hard drive and a discrete video card.

I can get a higher performing notebook for the dame price if I did not use the touch screen.

Does anyone use the touch screen capability with a Surface Pro or any other touch screen device?

#2 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:30 PM

Not at all.  I tried for maybe 5 minutes to use the stylus with surface pro and hated it.  I have had a pro 2, pro 3, and now surface book and its fantastic.  My desktop is now used for renderings only and all design work is done on the surface book.  Unless you are feeling rich...don't waste the money on the i7.  Mine is the 256mb i5 and there's nothing I can't do in softplan or any other program.  The only thing that I don't do is rendered mode...much too slow on a mobile machine.  

#3 Matt Orner

Matt Orner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationFargo, ND

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:21 AM

Sam, can you use the stylus pen or do you need a mouse with the surface book. And if so how effective is the pen

#4 Matt Orner

Matt Orner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationFargo, ND

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:22 AM

I guess what I should've said is why did you hate it. What was the drawbacks of it.

#5 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 10:21 PM

It just didn't work very well.  I spent less than 15 minutes with the stylus before throwing it in the garbage.  I have a bluetooth mouse that I take with me out on job sites.  Also have a tripod stand that I use on site to do all my field measurements.  

Tablet Stand.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users