20 replies to this topic

#1 AJ Spino

AJ Spino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:48 PM

I just installed Windows7 on my MacMini w/BootCamp.  I have an Apple USB keyboard with numeric key pad, unfortunately after the install the numeric pad doesn't work.  Oddly enough the USB port on that side of the keyboard doesn't work either.  The other issue is no sound...can't listen to the training videos(I'm not sure if they even have sound).

Has anyone experienced the same thing after installing Windows?  Any help would be deeply appreciated.

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:13 PM

I am not a fan of Windows at all. I boot up to Windows 7 on my Mac and sometimes my mouse doesn't work. Sometimes my settings get messed up. Sometimes the printer doesn't work. Then, I will boot up in Mac and everything is fine. Only, I can't us SP on the Mac side. Sure wish they'd follow all the other CAD programs who make a Mac version.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 AJ Spino

AJ Spino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:57 PM

Have you tried a reboot?

Gave that a shot, but no dice.  I'll probably have to try tech support (Windows), I spoke to one of the SP techs earlier, but he wasn't able to provide any help as it's more a OS problem then a program problem.

#4 AJ Spino

AJ Spino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:00 PM

Sure wish they'd follow all the other CAD programs who make a Mac version.

I'll second that motion!!

#5 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:17 PM

I may be only person on planet that never understood the appeal of apple products relative to their costs (cough.. gouging.. )...

and don't get me started on the gall and greed displayed by requiring a CC to open an Apple store account, unlike Google play store, Microsoft, Amazon, or rest of free world... we can't let our 8 year old use Apple products for this reason, as Apple requires CC information on file, then targets children's games for upcharges... we'll just get along with android, Google, Microsoft and Amazon thank you very much...

Oh... was I ranting?... sorry..
  • Gary Hood likes this

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:37 PM

No, Thomas, you're not the only one .... I'm right there with you.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#7 John Atchley

John Atchley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNW CT

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:51 AM

I just sold my brand new IMac 27 5K because I was unhappy with trying to use SP through either Bootcamp or Parallells. Just too frustrating. Built myself a new PC

#8 AJ Spino

AJ Spino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:03 PM

I just sold my brand new IMac 27 5K because I was unhappy with trying to use SP through either Bootcamp or Parallells. Just too frustrating. Built myself a new PC

I feel the pain, spent the past two days looking for a suitable PC, strictly for SP...not tech savvy enough to build my own.  Anyone have a suggestion...maybe a small form desktop.  I have a decent monitor, just need the brains.

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:15 AM

We"re running 2014 on gaming laptops, and they are very high spec. Softplan seems to be running quite well, but I'd hate to think how slow 2016 will be on a low end small form factor machine. It's even likely that the onboard video on a machine like that won't even run Softplan. Check Softplan's recommended minimum spec. before you purchase anything.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#10 AJ Spino

AJ Spino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:03 AM

Thanks Keith, I'll start with SoftPlans requirements.

#11 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:56 AM

Just as a further comment - if you go with the minimum requirements, you will probably regret it!

Keith

#12 AJ Spino

AJ Spino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:17 AM

Just as a further comment - if you go with the minimum requirements, you will probably regret it!

So you wouldn't consider something like this:

HP Business Desktop ProDesk 400 G1 Desktop Computer - Intel Core i5 i5-4590 3.30 GHz - Small Form Factor - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB HDD - DVD-Reader - Intel HD Graphics 4600 - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 

#13 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:46 AM

The decision is obviously up to you. You get what you pay for. If the price is right, then I would certainly consider it. If you buy a budget system and it doesn't work well, you can always use it for something else. I don't know how it will work on that system, it may run perfectly. The decision is yours. I just want you to make an informed decision.

There are various threads on here about video. I do seem to remember that Softplan recommended a gaming video card. You wouldn't expect to get that in a small form factor unit. I have no idea how good the Intel HD Graphics 4600 chip is. It may even be brilliant.

Keith

#14 AJ Spino

AJ Spino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:53 PM

The decision is yours. I just want you to make an informed decision.

Thanks Keith, I appreciate your feedback.  I'll continue to research this further, I can already see I'll need more RAM and a better video card.  I was just hoping to get something quickly as my partitioned Mac isn't cutting it.  However,  I don't want to buy the wrong thing and end up using it be a paper weight...better take my time and do my homework.

#15 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:06 PM

My guess is a."good" off the shelf "gaming" desktop, from fry's or best buy, with 8 or 12 ram, and nVidia graphics card might start at $800.. "great" for $1000... "screaming" for $1250... just guessing... but generally I would search for ,"gaming" rigs, as the game requirement specs are similar to 3D architectural modeling requirement specs...

#16 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:11 PM

The above comments notwithstanding... know that I've also seen softplan run just fine with a far lessor rig, including 2016... , indeed, I feel softplan does a fantasic job of balancing the quality of the output against the processing power required to get said quality... IMHO, no one does it better...

#17 AJ Spino

AJ Spino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:05 PM

My guess is a."good" off the shelf "gaming" desktop, from fry's or best buy, with 8 or 12 ram, and nVidia graphics card might start at $800.. "great" for $1000... "screaming" for $1250... just guessing... but generally I would search for ,"gaming" rigs, as the game requirement specs are similar to 3D architectural modeling requirement specs...

Thomas, found this for about $800, might this work?

Processor

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-4460 Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz)

Operating System

Windows 8.1 (64Bit) English

Memory

8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600Mhz

Video Graphics

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 745 with 4GB DDR3

Hard Drive

1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7,200RPM) 64MB Cache

Multimedia Drive

Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (9.5mm)

Media Card Reader

No Media Card Reader, includes USB 3.0

Bluetooth

Bluetooth® tied to wireless card

Display

No Monitor

Fax/Data Modem

HDMI - Yes

Wireless Connectivity

DW 1506 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi

Audio

Internal High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio with Waves MaxxAudio®

#18 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:45 PM

Hey, I'm no expert, but I think that rig will perform rather well...

can others confirm?

Sweet... a hi def blu Ray.player, and hdmi port... is your hd tv near by?

Perhaps others could chime in about price also, as I'm no export there either...

#19 AJ Spino

AJ Spino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:42 PM

Hey, I'm no expert, but I think that rig will perform rather well...

can others confirm?

Sweet... a hi def blu Ray.player, and hdmi port... is your hd tv near by?

Perhaps others could chime in about price also, as I'm no export there either...

I'm glad you and Keith pointed me in the direction of gaming PC's...I didn't have a clue regarding the needs of 3D.  

I too am curious as what others think of that configuration.

#20 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:21 AM

Looks good to me too, although like Thomas, I'm no expert. The 4GB Video RAM is probably good.

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users