#1 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:56 AM

I have a curved wall that I want just a straight hip on it, not following the curve of wall.  However when I trace the roof (even if I do it 3' away from the wall) it still picks up the curve wall.  I know that you can add roof edges but it would be nice to remove roof edges as well. 

Do I need to draw a false beam for the roof to snap to first and then go back and delete?  I know there has to be a way to do this.  Ugh.  

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:13 AM

Personally, I draw a portion of a straight wall the same construction as the curved wall adjacent to the area I want to snap the roof to rather than a beam ... I find it easier to keep straight in my mind, it also means that the overhangs (and heights) are consistent. Then change it to hidden (I also put it on a hidden layer), remove from cleanup, uncheck extract in model and uncheck include in softlist. Don't delete it or you may cause issues later since the roof is no longer referenced to anything.

You can move it laterally away from the curved wall and still keep the lollipop referenced to it even though the lollipop is no longer connected to the roof. It's also useful if you have multiple gables as Softplan doesn't like reference multiple roof edges to the same wall in certain circumstances.(I've just found out that this is obviously not one of them).

Attached File  2018.04.25_12h17m55s_001_.png   19.97KB   0 downloadsAttached File  2018.04.25_12h18m10s_002_.png   11.04KB   0 downloads

You can actually "remove" roof edges (or any polygon for that matter), by creative use of the INSERT POLYGON EDGE tool.

Attached File  2018.04.25_12h48m12s_004_.png   326.54KB   0 downloads

Attached File  2018.04.25_12h52m25s_005_.png   17.78KB   0 downloads

Attached File  2018.04.25_13h09m30s_007_.png   1.32MB   0 downloads

• Allen McDonnell and Brent Hyndman like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:41 AM

Thanks Keith.  That is what I will do.  

I will have to try the insert polygon edge tool way.  However, considering you do otherwise I suspect it is not ideal.

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:59 AM

Sorry, edited the above post while you replied ... have a look at the polygon tool explanation. I suspect that trying to reference it to the curved wall will still cause problems though.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users