#1 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:47 AM

Which do you use mostly? I mostly use Softplan review because pdf files often are to large to send or have to be broken down to much.

The draw backs are;
- Even if I clearly identify in large and red that they must install the viewer first, most people just try to open it as a Pdf and complain that they can't open it
- You can't do a batch print of Review
- Oddly enough, Softplan makes it easier to deal with Pdf's or Dwg's. If using multi-drawings, with Review, you have to make sure that the active drawing is your title page or it won't include it. You have to constantly re-select your Export Options (don't understand why this is still the case, have made the suggestion for many versions and it shouldn't be that complicated to have a default setting you can program)

#2 Mike Downing

Mike Downing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationPortola, Ca

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:44 AM

I mostly use PDF's for the same reasons you've outlined above. I will usually use Dropbox if the files are too large or e-mail files in smaller batches or if the clients are close by I will copy onto a flash drive and give the drive to them.

I feel Review needs more work before it can be easily used with Clients, some who aren't particularly computer savvy.

Mike Downing

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:16 PM

i use both methods. I dislike Review, because if you make a small change, every drawing in the project has to be re-sent. If you only send the changed one, that is the only drawing that your clients will be able to see. I'd like the ability NOT to remove every file when additional review files are published. Sort of like ... "Clear drawing cache? YES/NO".

When we send Review files, we typically send them with a large e-mail explaining all the steps. Most people seem to be okay with it.

However, for large files, I've recently been introduced to WeTransfer - No join-up, no fees. Can send up to 2GB of files. You just add the relevant files, send to e-mail address, your e-mail address and a small note. The client gets a notification that files are awaiting download, and you get notification when they have downloaded them. Works fantastically. Just so that the client doesn't think they are trash or viruses, I'd let them know they are coming .... just to be on the safe side!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 AJ Spino

AJ Spino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

However, for large files, I've recently been introduced to WeTransfer - No join-up, no fees. Can send up to 2GB of files. You just add the relevant files, send to e-mail address, your e-mail address and a small note. The client gets a notification that files are awaiting download, and you get notification when they have downloaded them. Works fantastically. Just so that the client doesn't think they are trash or viruses, I'd let them know they are coming .... just to be on the safe side!

I just tried We Transfer because the video I just made was to big (65MB compressed zip)  to send with hotmail.  I'm curious, I have a relatively slow DSL provider, but does 20+ minutes to upload sound reasonable?  Incidentally, it was a 3 minute flyby of that neighborhood I was working on...know where I can find some good advice on editing animations, I'd like to cut the run time in half?

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:15 PM

20 minutes sounds excessive.

I've uploaded up to 60MB with wetransfer, and don't remember upload times been excessive, however, we are in a rural setting and have quite a slow internet connection at the best of times, so we are used to waiting. It is normal with most ISP's that upload speeds are only a fraction of download speeds.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users