#1 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:59 PM

So what's the best way to make a copy of a Project / Project Folder ?

We have found that if we create a new folder (in say windows explorer), and drag and drop selected files from one folder to another, that we run into problems with the SoftPlan "Project File", and Cloud Back-up and related issues... We re-name the SoftPlan Project File, but the cloud back-up still seems to get the projects mixed up (like it remembers the old name even though we renamed it)...

so perhaps best to use SoftPlan "create project" tool to create folder and "project file" before dragging and dropping files?

so, if it's problematic to copy (drag and drop) the "project file" (and re-name)... Is it OK to copy (drag and drop) the .DAT file ?

just wondering how others approach this issue...

#2 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:09 PM

I have done this numerous times and it is a major headache. I feel your pain.

My Process now:

Open Softplan from scratch.

Open File> New > Project> save to the folder you desire.

Then:

Go to the other project folder and copy only the SPD files needed and paste to the new folder/project you just created. DO NOT COPY THE OLD PROJECT FILE

Next:

Create a new folder within the new project folder you just created. Name this folder the same as the other folder than has your .DAT files. IE: Plan Set 1. Copy the .DAT files from the original job to this new folder.

Close out Softplan and open fresh and then open your new project you created.

I have used this method for 6 months now with no issues so far.

#3 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:32 PM

I use to use Window Explorer all the time to copy projects but that caused me problems since the 2018 version (don't think it was a problem with 2016).

Now I always open the project I want to copy, and then File>Save>Copy Project to..., select the folder to copy to and enter the name of the new project.

• Brent Hyndman likes this

#4 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:55 PM

The best method is to use File- Save- Copy Project to...  The command was added help you create a copy of the current project folder and rename the .SPP file accordingly.

It also gives you a clear view as to where the folder is created and allows you to update Client and Project information if required.

Attached File  Copy Project To.png   23.5KB   5 downloads

• John Jones, Tom Rogers, Steven Wohlgemuth and 1 other like this

#5 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

OMG... "copy project to"... how great is that ?

did not even realize that was there...

thanks for the tip... learn something new every day... :)

and to think it took less than an hour to learn that here.... why didn't I ask sooner?

• Brent Hyndman likes this

#6 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:58 AM

Old dogs old tricks.  When you have a method you use in the past it is hard to explore other ways.  The way I have done it is as follows.

Create a new project (blank project, nothing in it).  Go to the old project in windows explorer and copy only the drawing files that I want to work on or need over to the new project folder.  Usually I need to start a new design but use a previous plan as the base so I do not need almost all the files except the floor plan.

Then go to SP and open the new Project folder in SP (so the new files will show up).  The files copied over should be there.  I rename my floor plan to show where it came from (use your own identifier).  Then do a Save As in SP with this renamed drawing to what you want to use in the new Project.  For better or worse I use Floor Plan 1

I never use the copy Project To in SP because I do not want all the files I have created over the course of a project in my new project.

#7 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:27 AM

I have all my projects in Dropbox and copy and paste files, drawings, etc. from one project to another with no issues. I do back up to the cloud, but never use it to recover files unless something goes majorly wrong. I have yet to use the copy project option in SP, but rarely want copies of everything from a previous project.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:28 AM

Conversely, I always use "Copy Project to" as I WANT all the previous photographs etc. so that I can find reference documents without having to dig for them.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#9 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:25 PM

I have a blank project set up with everything like I like it and most used symbols, notes, etc already on each drawing sheet. To start a project I Copy this blank Project, then I use keyboard shortcut for draw select to fill in the drawing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users