#1 Jeffrey Elliott

Jeffrey Elliott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationNew Palestine, IN

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:28 PM

I live in an area where most custom houses are stick built.  No problem.  Now I have a customer who wants to use trusses and he has a roof that is 8/12 on one plane and 10/12 on the other.  How do I draw a hip set in Softplan with the two different pitches?

Jeff

Jeff Elliott

New Palestine, IN

jeffelliott@me.com

NPI Consulting LLC

#2 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:17 PM

think you would just assign the pitches to the roof when drawing it, then when you do the roof framing, it will automatically pick up the pitch

#3 Jay Preeshl

Jay Preeshl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:38 PM

Just edit each roof edge (Hip). Heel height's will adjust automatically.

#4 James Scales

James Scales

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:16 AM

Roof edge plus any special configuration add a ceiling with the heights, the truss will adjust to the configuration.

#5 Jeffrey Elliott

Jeffrey Elliott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:58 PM

I guess I did not make my self clear on the issue I  am having.  I know how to draw roof plans without any problems.  I understand how to do an auto frame to get all my rafters, hips, valleys and so on.  I have a customer that wants a truss roof.  I understand how the gable ends work, how the truss framing area works.  Here is the problem.  When drawing the material .....trusses on the roof plan, how do you get the trusses to follow the direction of the roof and if you have multiple pitches...how do you get the trusses draw to the multiple pitches.  Rafters are not a problem....but I just can't figure out how to get trusses to draw like a stick roof when it comes to the layout of trusses on the roof plan.......Any one have any idea?

Jeff Elliott

New Palestine, IN

jeffelliott@me.com

NPI Consulting LLC

#6 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:52 AM

jeff,

i must not be understanding your issue.

i drew a gable roof,

than edited the 2 hip ends to have different pitches,

THAN i added the truss set.

the truss followed the two "different" pitches of the hips.

what am i missing ?

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#7 Todd Williard

Todd Williard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:14 PM

it is hard to understand without uploading an image of what you are asking for.

I am reading it as you want the mono trusses that are perpendicular to the girder trusses to show up in your drawing. I am not sure that SP shows their trusses that way, though I haven't tried.

Attached File  hip_roof.bmp   700.54KB   879 downloads

V11-V2024

#8 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:48 PM

Do you mean having the vertical trusses that would follow all the different shapes of the roof?

Attached Thumbnails

• Roof trusses.JPG

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:21 PM

I have to admit, that I also am a little confused as to what you are looking for Jeff. I would have done exactly the same as Randy, with a hip set 10:12 in one direction and 8:12 in the other. Softplan should configure that hip set correctly based on the pitches.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#10 Gary Hood

Gary Hood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationParksville B.C.

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:49 AM

" Rafters are not a problem....but I just can't figure out how to get trusses to draw like a stick roof when it comes to the layout of trusses on the roof plan"

Sometimes, when drawing trusses you have to keep in mind that they don't always follow the way of stick framing. Ridge beams can be replaced with girder trussses that span a lot more distance. Mono trusses are not built as framed jacks. But typically, what i do is to create a truss drawing that works, but when it goes to the manufacurer, & they have run it past thier software, they can change the configuration. So, i feel as long as i present a solution they can do what they wanyt with it as long as they have taken in all the bearing points.

#11 Jeffrey Elliott

Jeffrey Elliott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:49 PM

Gary, I think you are right on when it comes to the problem I am having.  You are right....truss hips are not framed anything like stick hips.  I think maybe I was expecting different.  Like I said in my first post, I do mainly stick roofs and to be honest have very little experience with truss roofs.  The market I am in for the most part is a stick market until you get into production housing.

Thanks to all of you for your help.  I appreciate the time you all  take to try to help out.  One of the biggest and best features that Softplan has is its users and user groups.

Jeff

• Gary Hood likes this

Jeff Elliott

New Palestine, IN

jeffelliott@me.com

NPI Consulting LLC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users