#1 D M

D M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Location..

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:53 AM

Just a gripe I've had through Versions 13, 2012 and 2014, .. hopefully 2016 will be better, ..

Almost every time I cut and Paste thru Softplan Clipboard, some dimension(s) in the destination drawing will increase or decrease by 1/32" , .. mirrored objects sometimes are off by this '1/32"' as well

Why.. ?  I've never seen this before in any other CAD program I've used, .. what's with Softplan and this 1/32"??

.. invariably, someone will have a simpler solution.

#2 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:22 AM

Don't count on a change in V2016.  I agree with you, plans showing 1/32 is an insult....unless you like being ridiculed by subtrades reviewing your plans.  This program does have the ability to round, don't understand why they don't implement it into cleanup.

Generally only happens while dimensioning angled walls or during some sort of cad import.

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#3 Gary Hood

Gary Hood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationParksville B.C.

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:49 PM

When this happens, have you checked that all the walls are at 90 degrees or 180 degrees? Sometimes, when this happens, due to a block move, you can get 1/32" dimensions.

#4 D M

D M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Location..

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:35 PM

When this happens, have you checked that all the walls are at 90 degrees or 180 degrees? Sometimes, when this happens, due to a block move, you can get 1/32" dimensions.

Yes, .. all my walls are drawn at 90 or 180°, .. or 45 or 30 or whatever, .. I've never had one at 179.99°, .. but even with square wall angles, .. this has been happening with Softplan for the three versions I've been using so it's inherent in the software, not due to anything that's been improperly drawn, .. I'm sure there's lots of other users that find the same thing happening, ..

.. invariably, someone will have a simpler solution.

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:12 PM

Although Softplan "snaps" objects to an imaginary 1/8" grid (Softplan tries to put everything drawn with a large cursor onto the 1/8" grid), when pasting from the clipboard, there is no reference for this 1/8" grid. I normally put a random construction point onto the drawing (which will snap to the grid), and block move (with snap active) the pasted objects to the construction point. That generally fixes the odd dimensions. if you use a small cursor, then the 1/8" grid is ignored.

Why.. ?  I've never seen this before in any other CAD program I've used, .. what's with Softplan and this 1/32"??

AutoCad has the ability to set a drawing tolerance, If you set this as 1/32" or greater .... then you will see it with AutoCad too. They are both able to draw as accurately as you want them too. Personally I like knowing that the programme is drawing accurately. If you draw a room at 10'-6-1/16" and centre a window the dimensions will show 5'-3-1/32" each side. What would you like them to show? I know the guys on site don't build to that tolerance, but we can draw as accurately as we want.

Having said that, I would like to be able to set a global variable that can be user defined to round everything to a chosen fraction, instead of having to round dimensions on a one by one basis. Although be aware, if you round enough dimensions, the sum of the individual dimensions and the overall dimension may not be equal.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Michael Collazo

Michael Collazo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationTampa Florida

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

Another wishlist that is totally reasonable... Lucky for me that Softplan is easy to adjust the wall placements quickly.

"When all else fails, do the opposite."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users