• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cameron Jones

Cameron Jones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:55 AM

Fellow Softplan users, I am currently designing a house that has both flat and arch top openings. When applying brick exterior trim to these openings, you get a arched soldier course for an arched top opening and a straight soldier course for a standard flat top opening. The customer would like arched brick exterior trim on all openings. I can achieve this look in 2d elevations, but cannot in 3D. To my knowledge, there is not a simple way to accomplish what I'm after except a workaround provided by Softplan support:

"I would use a thin beam and give it a deflection up into air. slide the beams long edge up against the wall above the opening. "

I've attached an image of what I currently have after using Softplan support's workaround.

Arched Exterior Trim.jpg

If anyone knows a better way to do this, your knowledge would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

#2 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:32 AM

Are you trying to have a false arched panel over the windows or brick inside the arch?

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:38 AM

How is this going to be physically built?

Is there going to be flat brick, with a arched brick over it? ..... Unlikely ....

Is there going to be a flat aluminum or similar panel over the window? ..... Much more likely.

So simply, draw what is going to be there. Design a custom arched transom without glass and add that and them put the brick course over it, the same as you did for the arched window.

2015.06.03_09h44m34s_005.png

This is all it needs to be. Save it as a elevation opening and an opening, Same as any custom opening. width and height really don't matter, as it can be resized to suit on any opening as a transom.

If the brick doesn't work correctly ... which is likely, Increase the overhang in 0.01" increments until it corrects.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2015.06.03_09h37m40s_004.png

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:41 AM

Sorry Yvon, cross posted whilst I was drawing ...

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#5 Cameron Jones

Cameron Jones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:45 AM

Keith, your post is exactly what I'm after. Thank you very much!

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:04 AM

The only downside I can think of, is there will be arched trim on the inside too.

Keith

#7 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:49 AM

The only downside I can think of, is there will be arched trim on the inside too.

No problem Keith for the cross post. Your description was more complete.

A possibility is to draw the window and arched panel separately. Then, when in the header tab for the window, check "Exclude From Unit Opening" and you"ll be able to remove the interior trim for the arched panel only. Then you can draw a cube flush with the interior drywall above the window to hide the arched panel itself, set on hidden layer and do a surface Copy/Paste to match interior drywall.

• Keith Almond likes this

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:42 AM

A possibility is to draw the window and arched panel separately. Then, when in the header tab for the window, check "Exclude From Unit Opening" and you"ll be able to remove the interior trim for the arched panel only. Then you can draw a cube flush with the interior drywall above the window to hide the arched panel itself, set on hidden layer and do a surface Copy/Paste to match interior drywall.

Yes, Great idea. He should be able to make that work.

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users