#1 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, Texas

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:06 AM

I think I am just getting old or something. I have in the past made symbols and imported them into SoftPlan and was able to orient the symbol as I needed it. Bu now I am trying to make a symbol like in the picture but when I do, it is in the wrong orientation. I am unable to figure out how to "stand it upright" as opposed to laying flat. I sent a ticket into Tech. Support and their answer was "Clear As Mud".

It is a plan view object, it can't be rotated to be standing. You can assemble the Temp drawing into the model alone, then export it as a DWG file from SoftView. Using this 3D DWG file you can make a new symbol and rotate the 3D object to be standing. You would then need to place it about a Vent opening (the vent in your plan view is not a 3D object and will not export).

Can someone explain this procedure to me or point me to a previous discussion in this forum that can help me out.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• aaa.JPG
  • bbb.JPG

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:39 AM

I thought we could change the orientation by picking which side was the front, etc. Haven't done that in awhile as I typically deal with symbols in SketchUp and then import them already oriented the way I want. That said, if you bring the symbol into a drawing on it's own and put that as the only thing in your model, you can start to work with the orientation. They seem to be saying that it is laying flat and needs to be rotated in the 'Z' axis in SoftView. It also can be done outside of SP in a program like SketchUp.

Are you making it a symbol in the symbol library or a vent in the opening library? If using the symbol library you can actually go into the edit menu while it is in SV, click on definition in main tab of the edit menu, then click on orientation and mess with options there by selecting the top of the symbol, then choosing to rotate if needed. I was able to change the orientation of the sign to face up vs to the side. I would think you can do the same for your vent.

Attached Thumbnails

• SP Symbol Orientation.jpg

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users