• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Warren Taylor

Warren Taylor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:36 AM

Hello everyone and appreciate any help.  I'm new to Softplan (using about 2 months) and modifying a plan for my own home build.  The front overlapping gables both have a change of roof pitch about 2/3 down on the right side.  I have not found a suitable way to replicate this in Softplan .  Any suggestions? 

I've attached both pictures (as designed in Softplan so far) and as built showing the angled right side of the gable roofs in front. 

Thanks for any help

Warren

Attached Thumbnails

• House Roof Softplan.png
  • House roof as built.jpg

#2 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:53 AM

Right click on that edge of the roof, edit edge, and change type to double hip and then input the bottom and top pitches, and the length of the bottom pitch.

Attached Thumbnails

• double hip1.jpg
  • double hip2.jpg

#3 Warren Taylor

Warren Taylor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:08 AM

Oh wow - that worked.  I kept playing with the distance and pitch and got the look I'm after.  One mistake I kept doing is clicking on the roof front and selecting edge thinking the "edge" is the same for all edges.  Not true - each edge can be selected separately.  Thanks for the tip!

Warren

• Jon Davis likes this

#4 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:14 AM

yep. each edge can be edited independently of each other. Works great when you need 2 different pitches like where you have a wrap around porch

where the sides are deeper than the front, or vise versa and you still want the ridge to meet at the corners at the top.

We sometimes do what my boss calls a french hip... And You can make the roof look correct in the model using double hip. The last 16" (basically the over hang) has a lower pitch

all the way around the house. 

#5 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:44 AM

Just a little friendly advice on your garage and its proximity at the front of the house.  Your driveway will be tight up to the house and depending on your site you may have some water run off issues and/or turn around when backing out.  

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#6 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 28 October 2019 - 11:13 AM

Just a little friendly advice on your garage and its proximity at the front of the house.  Your driveway will be tight up to the house and depending on your site you may have some water run off issues and/or turn around when backing out.  

"may have"? should say "guaranteed to have". For sure need to revise this area. Good call Tom.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users