#1 Jonathan Barto

Jonathan Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pa

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:52 AM

I need a good way to draw windows in say a 2 story greatroom.   Three rows of windows...

Softplan just needs to allow openings to be able to cut in to lower walls .  

Alot of houses we do have 2 story greatrooms with maybe 3 rows of window on them..  huge pain to have to draw all 3 windows on the first floor walls....

It would be nice to say set first floor wall to 18' and then have a 2nd floor wall be a "none wall" with just the windows.  (have those windows cut into first floor balloon frame walls)

I need the walls to report balloon frame due to needing accurate softlist and need those longer studs to report.  so breaking up the walls will not work correctly for softlist...

Unless anyone has a better solution for this..

Thanks

#2 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:02 PM

This has ALWAYS been a pain for me as well.  Looking forward to seeing how others handle this.  My priority is alway 3-d.  So another thing on the balloon frame walls is the walls that join them, etc.

#3 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:21 PM

When I do this, I frame the wall either fit to ceiling or roof.  Then temporally extend the wall enough to add the second row of windows.  Adjust the offset as needed, check hidden, usually turn of any ID or Opening Text and call them out on an elevation drawing. If it is the same type of window that is below it, i give it it's own Product Code adding 2nd Row, 3rd Row, etc.. so I select it from the floor plan by right clicking.  Then use align to edge to place over lower window.  Add additional rows as needed and then adjust wall back to correct size.

#4 Derk Burgers

Derk Burgers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSioux Center, Iowa

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:35 PM

As far as the ease of drawing the windows themselves - I put each row of windows on a separate layer so that you can place a row, turn the layer off so the wall looks clean and can work on the next layer. Not sure if that's what you were going for...

• Warren Ducote and Jim Johnson like this

#5 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 18 November 2019 - 07:15 PM

Can you add the windows in elevation view?
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#6 GENE GILES

GENE GILES

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:58 PM

I run into this when I do fold back stairs and want to put a window at the landing.  Basically I set the lower wall at the top of the landing and on the second floor I offset to match the lower wall turn off clean up and usually gets it done.

Gene

#7 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:27 AM

I run into this when I do fold back stairs and want to put a window at the landing.  Basically I set the lower wall at the top of the landing and on the second floor I offset to match the lower wall turn off clean up and usually gets it done.

Draw the walls as they would be built.  Place the window on the second floor and offset the bottom of the window as needed.  Add a "cross" opening to the first floor, align and adjust size as needed.

• Brent Hyndman likes this

#8 Tim Stockton

Tim Stockton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:49 PM

I typically will draw the walls as it will be built and put in both rows of windows on that wall setting the window heights as needed.  On the elevations you can note the heights for the windows.

• Allen McDonnell likes this

#9 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:25 PM

I do the same as Tim. I just pull the window size out (adjust away from the opening) for each level up. Or, place them on their own layer or my rendering layer. If there is a need to show the upper windows on an upper floor plan, they can be set not to extract in 3D.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#10 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:49 PM

You have to remember that Softplan is a BIM system as well and you have to draw like it is built.  That means a two story wall is not two seperate walls with a hinge point that doesn't meet code.  It needs to be balloon framed and if over 10' needs to be 2x6 

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#11 Ron Sirolli

Ron Sirolli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:40 PM

hi Tom     did you here about all exterior wall now are to be  2 x 6 in new Jersey for insulation  my framer told me about it a week ago

Thanks Ron

#12 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:11 AM

Good point Tom about the configuration of tall walls.  I wonder if there is a resource(s) that has tidbits of this kind.  Kind of like, your construction question that your are afraid to ask (because you should already know it).

#13 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:14 AM

Good point Tom about the configuration of tall walls.  I wonder if there is a resource(s) that has tidbits of this kind.  Kind of like, your construction question that your are afraid to ask (because you should already know it).

I think the resource is call the IBC  :D .  However you should check around as local cities and counties around here will hold seminars about code changes.  There is also a book that I have found usefull called called code check.  You can find them on Amazon for about $16

• David Zawadzki likes this

#14 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:15 AM

Yes, Ron, that is part of the new energy codes that came out.  Making everything move towards R-19.  

#15 Daniel Jackson

Daniel Jackson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 April 2022 - 12:47 PM

So,  How do I draw window above another window?

I have a porch roof with a window in the house wall.

Above the roof line, there are clearstory windows.  The upper windows are above the lower window in the same wall.

Softplan 2022 won't let me put a window on top of another window.

#16 Henry Buckner

Henry Buckner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 26 April 2022 - 01:01 PM

I usually do this in 3D view.

• David Zawadzki likes this

#17 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 26 April 2022 - 06:22 PM

I do the same as Henry ... add the additional windows in live elevation or 3d mode.

You also might find it helpful to temporarily extend the length of the wall to manage their placement in plan mode.

Once stacked the way you want them you can trim back the wall.

#18 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationDuncan BC Canada

Posted 26 April 2022 - 07:09 PM

Above the roof line, there are clearstory windows.  The upper windows are above the lower window in the same wall.

I draw the upper window beside the lower window, adjust the size and offset then move it over the lower window, then you can copy the entire window stack along the wall.

Your wall has to be full height 

#19 Wendall Hilty

Wendall Hilty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 08:23 AM

Normally I draw the one row of windows at a time and put them on a different layer. This clears the way for adding additional windows that can be offset as necessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users