#1 Damian Kurtyka

Damian Kurtyka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBancroft Ontario Canada

Posted 15 March 2021 - 05:40 PM

Hi All,

First of, need to point out that I am an absolute beginner with the program. I just purchased it after having a home building company for 15 years, and my usual designer retired. He recommended the program to me, and I have been experimenting with the trial for a couple months, and now have purchased the product, and have began doing actual plans. 

I have read the book, and watched some of the tutorial videos, but that seems like all the "basics" design, and I have not found anything that would help in my particular scenario. 

I am working on a 80'x40' barn style building with off center ridge gable roof (attached pic). It has taken me about 3 hrs of figuring out how to make a roof like this, but its only cosmetic. In my situation, we always hire out the roof engineering to the truss company so the drawings rarely show anything more then "rough" truss or rafters in cross section drawings. However because the clients want a shed roof attached to the front at a different pitch over the front porch, this current roof does not work as it is I guess default as rafter roof which will have the birds mouth, overhang and soffit. In reality this will be a truss roof, and on the front side, the truss will sit on the outside 2x6 wall flush with the outside. Then there will be rafters cut onto the wall sistering the trusses extending over the porch. (attached pic). So long story short, sorta, Is there a way to default the roof to be a truss roof, regardless in my situation, of the style, so that I have control over the end?

If anyone does respond, thanks very much. I am looking forward to using this program and partaking on this forums page. 

Thanks

Attached Files

#2 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 07:43 PM

If I understand you I would try double hip on the shed roof side then adjust the distance and pitches to match what you need. You will need a beam on the outside of the porch to attach the roof to.

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 March 2021 - 07:46 PM

Damn, I was going to say the same thing.

• Heath Foster likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 16 March 2021 - 10:52 AM

I would draw the porch roof as a separate roof and adjust porch beam height and pitch to get the rafter size you are using to work with seat cuts on both the porch beam and wall plate. That way the truss ends (without tails) at the outside of the wall and the rafters span the porch. Two separate roofs give you the option to tweak the heel heights and placement better than a double hip (in my opinion).

• David Zawadzki likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#5 Damian Kurtyka

Damian Kurtyka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBancroft Ontario Canada

Posted 22 March 2021 - 03:23 PM

Thank you guys very much for the responses. I played with both options. I couldnt figure out how to adjust the horizontal position of the double hip roof. I could adjust over the span of the porch, but the 2nd slope start point ended up in an awkward position, that I could not figure out how to move (which there probably is a way). Playing with the pitch only changed the back side pitch.

I then tried doing it as a separate roof and did manage to figure out how to make it work with adjustments and pitches. Its still not 100% but visually it will pass, and I can alter the section drawing to make sense. Thanks so much for the responses. This is definitely much more complicated of a program then I originally assumed. Its going to be a hell of a learning curve. 

#6 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted 22 March 2021 - 04:21 PM

My experience with a double hip it doubles the main roof pitch. Like if you had a 10/12 pitch and changed it to a double hip the main roof would be a 20/12 pitch, edit it and change the upper pitch back to a 10/12, then change the distance to how deep your porch is, if the porch is 6' then change the distance to 6'. You may want to adjust it from there.

#7 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 04:51 PM

Damian, just a little input about the learning curve. It's not a large learning curve really.   It's was my experience that I was like not going to try to learn everything, You do have to put in the time to learn, it is a professional program, so a little complicated and does so many things.

But my suggestion, put in the time, and learn a little as you go. I do up little videos that might help you get started a little more, if you want to try my system.      email me if you want a little push over the hump  otrhomes@gmail.com 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Roof, Beginner, Truss, Rafter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users