5 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Dillard

Daniel Dillard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Texas

Posted 02 August 2021 - 11:38 AM

In my area we do quite a few bardominiums.  I work with the steel building manufacturers to generate a steel frame design for column placement as it will affect the residential build-out.  Obviously different sizes are needed (such as 6x12, 8x12, 8x16, etc.) depending on the span of the steel frame. I have created an assortment of symbols using solids to represent steel I-beam columns.  Sometimes wedge-shaped steel columns are required by the steel-building manufacturer.  I wish we had the option of selecting from POSTS > STRUCTURAL an I-Beam cross-section configuration with the adaptable options as we do other posts.  What are others using in these situations?  Just curious. My work-around has been working for years, just would like more flexibility.

Maybe these can be added for SoftPlan+ users in the future.

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 02 August 2021 - 12:22 PM

I have made several posts for my post library based on what I need. You could easily make all sorts of posts for your need. Can you post a picture of the wedge-shape you use? Dissecting a current post from the library may give insights for how you will want to create the posts you need.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 Daniel Dillard

Daniel Dillard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Texas

Posted 02 August 2021 - 01:49 PM

Attached File  Steel-Frame Wedge Beams.JPG   70.35KB   4 downloads

I have made several posts for my post library based on what I need. You could easily make all sorts of posts for your need. Can you post a picture of the wedge-shape you use? Dissecting a current post from the library may give insights for how you will want to create the posts you need.

Here is a 3d of the project I did with the Wedge beams.  Fortunately the steel building manufacturer provided me working drawings of the steel frame for this project and I was able to create these beams using solids and then exporting the 3d model as a .dwg, saving the plan as a symbol and then linking it to the .dwg file.  Lots of steps - doable, though not adjustable without recreating if the project size changes.

#4 Jon Churchill

Jon Churchill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationThe Oaks, Australia

Posted 02 August 2021 - 02:37 PM

We have quiet a few of our SoftPlan users who build sheds. In our post and beam libraries are sections of cold rolled C channel of various sizes. Draw and apply a profile to the post or beam. Portal frames are used in most shed constructions. I have not seen a tapered post used for many years as these in general would be hot rolled or welded. Way too expensive in to days market. Also use top hats sections on walls.

Attached Files

• Keith Almond, Gary McKeon and Daniel Dillard like this

#5 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 02 August 2021 - 02:40 PM

Daniel,

The wedge beams and posts unfortunately would have to be custom for every size. Of course, if always the same height building, and a few basic sizes modeled and saved as posts and beams could be assembled. The posts could easily be a repeatable part that is actually a post. The beams would likely have to be symbols. It sounds like you already are making use of symbols to the best of SP's ability. The purlins could be beam profiles (may be best to set at each potential roof slope). Or as John shows, come up with at least some profiles that work. Certainly some ways to simplify, but not going to be super easy in SoftPlan. That is where I tend to go to SketchUp to create such things. But, then it has to coordinate with SP. I see your point on making more adjustable parameters within the post (and beam) menus. Would be nice.

• Tim Stockton likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#6 Tim Stockton

Tim Stockton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 27 August 2021 - 09:53 AM

Daniel and Mark - I will third the motion for adjustable parameters for post and beams.  I have 2 projects going right now that require the red iron structures - all will have to be build individually at this point and brought in.  Like Mark, I'll most likely do these in SketchUp and import them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users