#1 Chris Robinson

Chris Robinson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationKelowna, B.C. Canada

Posted 04 October 2021 - 11:16 PM

This may be obvious but for some reason, the "cover floor" option when I edit the exterior walls, is grey and I can not use it.

I have attached a few screen shots. Am I missing something?

Attached Files

#2 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 05:49 AM

#3 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 06:44 AM

D

#4 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 05 October 2021 - 10:35 AM

It almost looks like your floor system could also be off just a bit (check if the lollipops are more solid filled - thus referencing the exterior walls nearby, or hollow). Or, in the case of the main floor, is your mudsill part of the floor system or part of the foundation wall below? Also, with stepped walls or partial walls, the lollipop of the floor system vs the length of the wall can sometimes mess up whether siding covers the floor system or not. So, sometimes it is best to break up walls into segments when you run into that.

And, certainly the offset of the wall needs to match the height of the floor system.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#5 Henry Buckner

Henry Buckner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 10:51 AM

This option has also been greyed out for me when the bottom of the 2nd floor (for whatever weird reason) is not flat. If the bottom of the wall is set as raked the option isn't available.

I don't know why it happens, but at least once I fixed it by unchecking "rake wall" on the bottom.

#6 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 05:18 PM

You can also in the 3d mode use "adjust' and adjust the wall down over the floor system.   I've several times have done a clean and the option to cover floor lights up to be used.

#7 Chris Robinson

Chris Robinson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for all the advice but nothing seems to be working.

Fred, it doesn't change when I add the floor joists.

Mark, I tried taking the sill plate off, I checked that the walls line up ( there were a few that did not but still didn't fix when I changed them) My floor system is 11 7/8" joists and 5/8" subfloor so 1'0.5" ( was 1'2" with sill plate that I took off). 

I broke the whole plan up. Removed the basement and upper floor from the model. I thought it might be my reference point which I had on a hidden wall away from the floor plan. I changed it to a common wall on the plan and made sure they lined up.

The funny thing is, the section of the wall that is cantilevered works. 

This is taking too much time. I know I can adjust the walls on the 3d to cover but I shouldn't need to do that. 

It may be time to submit a ticket. (but that feels like defeat  :wacko:

#8 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 06 October 2021 - 07:08 AM

Try breaking the wall that is not covering the floor into 2 pieces and then adjusting the break to occur at the stair landing. 

#9 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 06 October 2021 - 07:52 AM

Philip is on to something,  move the floor lollypop to the bedroom area instead of your stairwall which i'm guessing is a tall wall or has a different offset.

Attached Files

• Steven Wohlgemuth likes this

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#10 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 06 October 2021 - 08:38 AM

I ran into much the same thing on a project for a remodel on an old log cabin, and found using the bottom of the wall offsets and setting it to a negative number worked great in the case of a log wall so it covers the edge of the floor system. Maybe for looks you can try that and just move on for now. I think there are some quirks with the way new walls work with the ability to split and step them that sometimes interferes with the cover floor feature.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#11 Chris Robinson

Chris Robinson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 05:44 PM

Thanks again for all of the advice. I tried all of them but nothing seemed to help.I was about to move on like you suggested Mark. Your suggestion would give me the end result but it still bugged me that something wasn't right. I did put in a ticket and I have attached the response.

This did kind of fix things, even though the cover floor was still grey'd out on some wall but still covered the floor. I think the key was to untick the transition box in the definition. I have no idea why that was solution to the issue but enough time wasted.

I do have what I think is a simple question. I have a small skirt roof that is not showing a fascia and I don't know why. Is there a simple solution to this? 

Attached File  Screenshot 2021-10-07 162829.jpg   220.69KB   3 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot 2021-10-07 160920.jpg   94.47KB   3 downloads

#12 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 07 October 2021 - 05:59 PM

It needs to be a gable rather than an intersect to show a fascia. However, quite often just changing from intersect to gable doesn't seem to fix it. Try changing it from intersect to hip and then from hip to gable. I've found that works sometimes.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#13 Chris Robinson

Chris Robinson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 08:10 PM

Got it. Thanks Keith.

#14 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 08 October 2021 - 02:21 PM

my yellow circles are gable style lollypops associated with phantom walls. (hidden from 3d and hidden so not shown on my sheets), the innter R that i've not identified would be an intersect vertical plane not associated with any wall

(get used to this approach if you have lots of little gable return ends.)

Attached Files

Joseph A. Smith

#15 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 08 October 2021 - 02:24 PM

here is another more common and larger.

Attached Files

Joseph A. Smith

#16 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 03:41 PM

Don’t know if you have tried this, but erase your reference point on both drawings and find a new location to put the reference point on each drawing.
This has worked for me in the past.

#17 Chris Robinson

Chris Robinson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 04:49 PM

Hi Joseph, 

I am sorry but I really don't follow what explaining: 

Posted 08 October 2021 - 09:21 PM

my yellow circles are gable style lollypops associated with phantom walls. (hidden from 3d and hidden so not shown on my sheets), the innter R that i've not identified would be an intersect vertical plane not associated with any wall

(get used to this approach if you have lots of little gable return ends.)

understand about hidden walls not shown on the 3D but I don't see how it works in your example. I do need to understand this because this will come up quite often in my designs. Until now I have been creating a separate small roof on the main floor but it is clunking and seems to take a lot of time for what it is. 

Attached File  Screenshot 2021-10-12 154434.jpg   12.2KB   0 downloads

#18 Chris Robinson

Chris Robinson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 04:51 PM

I am also not sure if I can make 6" or 12" wide? Your method appears to allow for any size.

#19 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 October 2021 - 06:02 PM

Rather than add it as a separate roof, use insert polygon edges to extend that portion of the roof and edge edit as necessary.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#20 Steven Wohlgemuth

Steven Wohlgemuth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick Canada

Posted 12 October 2021 - 06:57 PM

Here is something i got from support last year. Like Keith is saying.

We would need a gable edge in the small step. You can use Tools>Insert Polygon Edge to add more edges, then set the right edge to a gable. Use Move?>Adjust Item to move that edge to the wall. Set the new intersect edge to be vertical and the edge over the main roof to have an Auto Pitch again. Steps in attached image.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users