• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Williamson

Josh Williamson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 07:09 PM

Hi! I'm drawing a basement from the ground up using 10" block. I added partition walls all around the edges. When I went to add in windows, it put it directly into the block without opening up a space for the window through the partition wall. Am I supposed to cut the opening myself? I did do that but then it took out below and above the window. Is there a way to make it so when you add in the windows, it adds it directly into both the block and the partition wall just like it does if I were creating a main floor plan?

Would I need to create my own wall definition to already include the studs/drywall? 

Thanks!

#2 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 07:18 PM

Use a blank arch opening

#3 Josh Williamson

Josh Williamson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 07:28 PM

I am completely new to this. So at first I did my block wall, then added the partition walls and when I put the window in I had to remove some of the partition walls but the windows are not sitting right with the two wall types...Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this. 

I added a blank arch opening...but what would that do for me? 

I appreciate you responding. I'm hoping to learn a few things from you all.

#4 Josh Williamson

Josh Williamson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 07:29 PM

I thought I added an image...but I'm not seeing it. Let me try that again. Maybe this will work.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

#5 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 07:51 PM

window goes in the block wall, arch opening goes in the framed wall.  No breaks in the framed wall...one continuous wall the whole length of the block wall

• ROBERT BROGAN likes this

#6 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 05:29 AM

Edit your arch opening, uncheck Product Code, adjust size and offset to match your window.  Add interior trim to arch opening.  Edit the window and turn off interior trim.

Another option would be to define a new foundation wall with all the components needed instead of using two walls.

#7 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:59 AM

Did you try adding a new wall definition yet?
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#8 Josh Williamson

Josh Williamson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:37 AM

I will give these options a try and see what works best. No I haven't added a new wall definition yet. Thank you!

Another question...do I need to add the ceiling on this? I don't need to draw the floor above but I do have the stairs draw in going up. 

#9 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:42 AM

Define your wall with the Block and Stud Wall as one?

Attached Files

#10 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:44 AM

Plan View

Attached Files

#11 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:01 AM

Define your wall with the Block and Stud Wall as one?

Is your footing (when you actually build a foundation) really offset from the block wall like shown in your definition? Or, was that just a quick representation?

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#12 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:11 AM

Are you talking about the block not being centered on the footing?

#13 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 13 October 2021 - 12:38 PM

Are you talking about the block not being centered on the footing?

Yes, just curious if that is the way they build in your neck of the woods.

Mark Petri

#14 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 03:24 PM

No they don't, but the building department around here don't even check it. Around here they don't require a engineer stamp. I've done some work for the Savannah area and I had to get the plans stamped. The wall I did some editing on it to show that it would cut the whole wall for an opening and forgot to change the footing.

Rick

#15 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 13 October 2021 - 04:35 PM

No they don't, but the building department around here don't even check it. Around here they don't require a engineer stamp. I've done some work for the Savannah area and I had to get the plans stamped. The wall I did some editing on it to show that it would cut the whole wall for an opening and forgot to change the footing.

Rick

Thought that may be the case, but never know. We do use some massive footings to retain uphill forces at times. But, most of the time footings are centered under the bearing foundation wall.

Mark Petri

#16 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 14 October 2021 - 08:04 AM

Mark, some areas around me do not even require building permits or inspections of any kind during construction.

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#17 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:52 AM

It's amazing the differences in parts of the country. When I first got started I lived near Milwaukee and did my own drawings for remodels/additions. I never had any major issues. I have a few friends who were builders in Rhinelander/Eagle River area and would sketch something out on a piece of paper for large homes. That was it. Not that way around here anymore. Not as bad as California yet (the seismic stuff and some stuffy areas like Tahoe add to the complications), but we have some tough building departments. Some things make sense, others are just crazy. I had a timber frame I worked on in West Virginia for a couple - it was going to be their retirement home. They wanted super steep stairs and I wouldn't let them do it. There weren't any permits or inspections other than a site plan approval, so they didn't care. I fought with them to design stairs they could actually use when older. And, we ended up designing in a space for a future elevator (which they used as an excuse for their argument for steep stairs). I never saw the final house, so am not sure how it all worked out.

• Michael Landry and Joseph Smith like this

Mark Petri

#18 Josh Williamson

Josh Williamson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for the suggestion to define a new wall including the studs/drywall. That has fixed my issue with the windows/doors not going all the way through. Again I am new to this software. 

I have my block walls at 10" for my basement with 8" block underneath the garage. There is a wall between the space underneath the garage and the rest of the basement that is 12"block. I have defined my wall for the 12" block with the studs/drywall but I'm having issues getting it to align correctly. Here is an image of where I need the 12"block wall to go and connect with the other two walls. 

Any tips on how to make this work?

Thanks!

Becca

Attached Files

#19 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 03 November 2021 - 08:33 AM

If you need the block and stud wall to go across and connect just adjust and drag the end of the wall at the low side across until it joins with the walls above. You can edit the way it joins once it is attached. Of course, it won't always stay just as you want. If you only need block, just draw a block wall between those points and use the align tool to align it with the face of the block wall in the bottom of the screenshot. I personally like my foundation to be separate from my interior framed walls, but there are several ways people work with finished basements.

Mark Petri

#20 Josh Williamson

Josh Williamson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 05:05 PM

Thanks Mark! I've gotten the block to align where I need it to but I'm not positive on how to get the studs/drywall to line-up. - Becca

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users