Bill Beatson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPerth Scotland

Posted 14 December 2021 - 07:30 AM

Hi - 

A house wall with a different material in the floor zone (a band approx 250mm/10" high) to that of the material above floor level how can that be shown when I check "cover floor"?

The attached 3D shows foundation walls in ashlar stone and main wall with ashlar stone "fixed" height 250mm to "cover floor" - checked/unchecked but neither setting shows ashlar stone stopping at floor level. - i.e. the bay window wall has "cover floor" checked and the walls on each side have "cover floor" unchecked.

If I remove the ashlar from the wall definition the external facing brick drops to offset "0" but I want to show a band of ashlar stone in that zone.

Bill Beatson

#2 Bill Beatson

Bill Beatson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPerth Scotland

Posted 14 December 2021 - 07:32 AM

Can't see my 3D can you??

#3 Bill Beatson

Bill Beatson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPerth Scotland

Posted 14 December 2021 - 08:22 AM

I think I've attached a JPG 3D image

Okay did it this time

Attached Thumbnails

• 3D 1.jpg

#4 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 14 December 2021 - 10:00 PM

its difficult to say.  in floor mode examine your floor to make sure the lollypops are attaching themselves to the walls above.  possibly check your reference point and the wall height and offset the reference point is set to.

CTRL-C might help get things back in order.

delete an exterior wall then UNDO, sometimes that is enough to get things cleaned up.

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#5 Bill Beatson

Bill Beatson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPerth Scotland

Posted 15 December 2021 - 05:55 AM

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for looking at this.

The solution seems to be - increase the wall height of the outer leaf by 212mm (i.e. joists + plate + flooring 145+45+22mm) and apply offset "0" but leave "cover floor" and "clean up" unchecked.

All other layers for the inner leaf remain standard but with vertical offset up 212mm in the wall definition but the external doors also need to be offset 212mm up instead of "0". internal partitions remain correctly offset to the floor and, although the windows offset correctly down from the top of the wall, the lintel opening heights read 212mm higher above floor level.

I like to send 3D's to clients at the sketch plan stage so it's good to get it looking right!

Thanks again for giving me a push in that direction.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3D 2.jpg

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 December 2021 - 08:46 AM

You could also use a SPLASHBOARD of the relevant depth and texture it as ashlar ... May be a simpler solution.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#7 Bill Beatson

Bill Beatson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPerth Scotland

Posted 15 December 2021 - 09:28 AM

Hello Keith,

That sound interesting! I'm not familiar with a "splashboard" - is that a symbol?  I'm still using V.14 

Bill

#8 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted 15 December 2021 - 10:10 AM

What floor are you trying to cover the Foundation or the Block on the 2nd floor?

#9 Bill Beatson

Bill Beatson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPerth Scotland

Posted 15 December 2021 - 10:19 AM

Hi Richard,

The foundation wall usually (if not always?) stops at "0" offset of the ground floor wall which is fine.

When the ground floor main wall "cover floor" is checked I want the floor depth of the wall to be an ashlar material for that band only.

I eventually managed to do that as explained in my reply to Joseph with the thumbnail earlier today.

The block band on the upper floor is intentional and is part of the upper wall definition.. 

#10 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 10:26 AM

If you have a seperate block foundation, I don't think it will cover it because your slab or floor jiost are on the main floor. If it's a seperate foundation I think you'll have to add the Brick to you foundation wall definition.

#11 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 December 2021 - 12:13 PM

The splashboard is on the trim tab of the wall edit menu (as far as I remember) ... but may not date back to V14

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#12 Bill Beatson

Bill Beatson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPerth Scotland

Posted 16 December 2021 - 04:31 AM

HI RICHARD -  I already tried changing the founds definition but that just increased the depth (height) of the foundation wall and, as you say, there's not an option to "cover floor".  

HI KEITH - the trim tab is there on V14 with options "up" and "down" referring to the plan view but no splashborad! -  

I've had V14 since 2008 and promised myself to upgrade as each new version is released - but V14 still does everything I need as an architect and probably more I've yet to discover. SoftPlan can do all kinds of work from new build residential and commercial and also extensions and renovations - I'm really happy with it. Unfortunately, on this side of the pond, there's not an option to subscribe and only to purchase full price. I'm 71 and still working happily but maybe one day I'll treat myself. 

Anyway I'm happy with the solution I found and very many thanks for your feedback.

Have a great Christmas 

#13 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 04:40 AM

If V14 has Banding you could use that for a Splash Board as Keith said.

• John Jones likes this

#14 Bill Beatson

Bill Beatson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPerth Scotland

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:47 AM

Hi Richard,

V14 does have banding and works okay - and ideal for 3D purposes - thanks. 

Only thing is banding sticks on the outside of the wall whereas the basecourses construction aligns with the facing brickwork above - but that's okay too.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users