5 replies to this topic

#1 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 09:35 PM

I have been using Synology and a NAS that a friend of mine put together that allowed us to sync all of our computers and files together.  and have recently run into a host of issues with it.  When working the concept was working fine, it's just now recently I cannot get it to sync back together.   At the moment i have 7 computers all with very similar files, but the last months worth of work done on each computer is not transferred out to the others.  Basically I have a setup that each computer has an extra drive in it that is seperate from the operating system.  i want that seperate e:\ to by synced between 7 differen computers as quickly as possible.  In other words if we make a change in one folder, drawing, etc.. that each drive gets the appropriate files or changes.  

For a size reference, it is around 233 gb of files.  Drawings, notes, 3d renderings, pictures, images, etc...

doing some google searching I see a software called AOMEI... is that any good for real time syncing these computers.  i'm open to idea here.

#2 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 December 2021 - 10:42 AM

I use multiple computers and all of my stuff is on dropbox.  Works seamlessly

#3 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 24 December 2021 - 10:43 AM

It may be finding redundant files of different dates and sizes on your different systems and getting confused.  Maybe time to restart the process with your most reliable file structure drive then sync the rest of the drives.

I use GoodSync for 2 systems and 1 standalone backup drive.  Takes about 20 minutes or so for the complete batch processes of searching for changes then synchronizing effected files on the 3 units.  In the beginning, the software questioned me once and awhile about which file to overwrite when the software found issues.  I made rules to always keep the most current file. So far never had an issue in 3-4 years of GoodSync.  My sync processes ALWAYS take place at night or after hours when there is nothing being used within any of the effected directories.

Be vigilant of your actions, sync software it has the ability to inadvertently eliminate lots of data over all the drives.

Cloud service I use it Backblaze, its cheap, great insurance against a total meltdown of my work.  (20 years of designs lost would suck)

Good Luck Brad

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#4 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationOrange Park, Florida

Posted 26 December 2021 - 07:00 PM

Brad,

Dropbox has a business platform that works really well for shared users.

Also I have used this software for year and it has proven to be failsafe.

https://www.tgrmn.com/web/file_synchro

#5 Bill Wimberley

Bill Wimberley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • LocationSan Angelo, TX

Posted 26 December 2021 - 10:40 PM

Our organization uses Google Drive to store all projects and to share libraries such as openings, symbols, drawing templates, etc. I think most of the others have Google Drive set up with the Stream Files option and they access files directly from the cloud. I have mine set up with the Mirror Files option and I access the files from my computer and then the files are automatically synced with Google Drive and all other computers. This configuration allows me to control access and who can change files. For instance, I was having problems with people constantly changing the drawing templates. I solved the problem by having the drawing templates set so that only I and one other person could change the drawing template files but everybody could access them. Problem solved. Google drive keeps a trash folder so if a file is accidentally erased it can be recovered. And you can see who created or edited the files. https://www.google.com/drive/

I keep backups of everything as well. I use Allway Sync to sync all of my files to two additional drives as well as to Dropbox. I've been using Allway Sync for about 15 years and it has always worked well. https://allwaysync.com/?a=1

So I have multiple copies of all my files. Goodle Drive in the cloud, Google Drive on my computer, backups to two different drives, and backup to dropbox.

Google Drive syncs all the files between multiple computers in multiple locations in multiple states.

#6 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for all the replies... After some muddling around I ended up purchasing my own Synology server and I believe solved a good majority of the issues I was having.  the sync is now happening much faster since we are now on a local network.  Again thanks for all the responses.... If I ever switch things up again the google drive solution Bill suggested looked promising

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users