Photo

Exterior wall outline shown in roof plan (birdeye view)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dean Downey

Dean Downey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 11:18 AM

Can't seem to get the exterior wall outline shown when I produce a roof plan (birds eye) top down view.

Any suggestions?

It only shows the roof outline with no exterior wall outline underneath.

Thanks

Dean

Thanks

Dean Downey

dmdhomeplans.com

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 06 January 2022 - 11:33 AM

Are the walls on the same drawing as the roof? If the roof is a separate drawing the walls on the drawing below won't show. If for while drawing roofs, make sure "multiple floor roof" is selected. Or check your visibility settings. If your walls are on a different layer than default they may not show in roof mode with default settings. Another option is to use overlay or add the drawing the walls are on as a separate drawing on the plan set page if that is what you are trying to accomplish.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 06 January 2022 - 12:05 PM

In your "roof options" dialogue box on the lower right there are check boxes with one of them being "include walls" under the Generate Drawing verbage. This should give you what you want but be aware that it gives more than just your walls, it will give beams as well as foundation walls, etc. In other words be prepared to do a bit of cleanup.

#4 Dean Downey

Dean Downey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 12:10 PM

Two pictures attached. One with roof profile birds eye view with no exterior wall outline under.

The second is where I manually draw the dotted outline of the exterior wall under. A bit of work that should be unnessary.

THX

Attached Files

Thanks

Dean Downey

dmdhomeplans.com

#5 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 06 January 2022 - 01:34 PM

In those situations you can either use overlay and show the walls of the floor plan you want  (only one drawing will reference and show). Or, with more control, you can use a copy of the drawing(s) you want walls to show from as an overlay. I set up a drawing so the walls are faded and show only what I want that I will add to the plan set when I want to have more control of the look. Been a while since I've had to do it, but makes for a simple set up. I just copy and paste the current floor plan as I want it into my overlay plan (after erasing any previous stuff on that overlay drawing).

Another option I use is turn on overlay, then trace my outside face of structure/stud with a polygon (much like it sounds you did). Doesn't typically take that long, but can be a bit of work with more complicated drawings.

Attached Files

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#6 Dean Downey

Dean Downey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for both options! 

Cheers.

Thanks

Dean Downey

dmdhomeplans.com

#7 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 03:41 PM

Two pictures attached. One with roof profile birds eye view with no exterior wall outline under.

The second is where I manually draw the dotted outline of the exterior wall under. A bit of work that should be unnessary.

THX

Did you not see my post above? What you did is not necessary but, of course, you can do it that way if you want.

#8 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 06:50 PM

I would like to be able to convert this view (without the roof holes showing) into a SP line drawing that I can edit.  The walls should show as dash lines and the outside of the roof with the gutters, etc just like in the top elevation views.  I have tried the way Gary discussed above but was not able to create what I want.  I like the post, beams, etc showing since they are bearing.  I have tried Options-Roof- show walls, etc...... No luck with that.  I did the dialogue thing - no luck with that.  It seems like it should be simple like when you save an elevation view.  

Attached Files

#9 Bill Wimberley

Bill Wimberley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationSan Angelo, TX

Posted 10 January 2022 - 08:08 PM

Fred
1) Select Roof Options. Make sure there is a check under Generate Drawing next to Include Walls
2) Draw in a rafter somewhere. It doesn't matter where. Once there is a rafter you can select Generate Drawing. Select Generate Drawing. Save the resulting drawing. in the saved drawing erase the rafter. You will now have a dashed outline of all your walls.
3) Create a Top Elevation and save it as a SoftPlan Drawing.
4) Merge the two drawings together.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   293.93KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   125.98KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   122.4KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  4.jpg   246.47KB   1 downloads

• Mike Sweeter likes this

#10 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 04:04 AM

Thanks Bill!  It looks like you are using Snagit and I am about to snag your Snagit..... and are you sure I just can't right click something :)   Definitely the easiest way to go to get where I am trying to go with this.  Thanks again!!! 

#11 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 08:00 AM

Here are the results with a rendered view just for fun.  I lost the pitch symbols and the post.  Otherwise sweet!  Easy to edit out what I don't want from here.  Thanks again.  

Attached Files

#12 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 10:12 AM

I would like to be able to convert this view (without the roof holes showing) into a SP line drawing that I can edit.  The walls should show as dash lines and the outside of the roof with the gutters, etc just like in the top elevation views.  I have tried the way Gary discussed above but was not able to create what I want.  I like the post, beams, etc showing since they are bearing.  I have tried Options-Roof- show walls, etc...... No luck with that.  I did the dialogue thing - no luck with that.  It seems like it should be simple like when you save an elevation view.  

Interesting because I have all the walls and beams always showing and get the result you are looking for judging by the subsequent pictures. The posts don't show though for me. 

#13 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 11:17 AM

Here is a quick example

Attached Files

#14 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 01:59 PM

Gary, what are you doing different then what Bill outlined above?  When I followed your earlier description I ended up with the drawing I showed in the earlier post (color roof drawing) and could not do much more from there. Did you just save it as an SP drawing?   Also, where did the slope arrow symbols come from?  Thanks.  

#15 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 10:36 AM

Go into roof mode> have "include walls" checked on the lower right of the roof options dialogue box> click on "bird's eye" tab at the top> you will see just the roof at this point but do a 'save as'> name it and then open it up and the walls & beams are there under your roof plan. 

The slope/ arrow symbols are created items made to quickly identify what's what.

#16 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:54 PM

Faster with same results and all on one page.  Thank you Mr. Gary!!  Only thing I would like to "auto" have is the roof pitches.  So you added your own slope symbols before you saved it from the bird's eye view??

• Gary McKeon and Wendall Hilty like this

#17 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:23 PM

Nope. Afterwards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users