6 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 08:40 AM

Am I the only one that would like to have the option for "None" on beam dimensions? Just like the option for footers, Edge, Center and None? I either adjust the beam out of the dimension run, run the dimension, then adjust it back, or put them on a layer and turn it off and on as needed.  Is there a better way?

Thanks, Dave

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 10 February 2022 - 11:36 AM

A NONE option would have to be specific as NONE generally means dimension to extreme edges unless told otherwise. However, I agree it would be nice to have EXCLUDE/INCLUDE in dimension string for beams. Like you, I'm always adjusting them out of the way!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Chris Robinson

Chris Robinson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationKelowna, B.C. Canada

Posted 10 February 2022 - 11:50 AM

I totally agree. I do the same thing and although it doesn't much time, it is a pain. I would also be nice to have an option with certain walls. I quite often use "hidden" walls a accomplish a roof line and it really mess up your dimensions if your not careful. I would think it would be a minor thing for the programmers' to do this. More options are always helpful. :mellow:  

• Chris Proost likes this

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 11:58 AM

Yes, I don't undrstand why the REMOVE walls that are in the standard wall package break dimension strings. AAARRGGHH!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#5 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 04:04 PM

Have you tried using 'Dimension Point' for the dimensions that cross the beam(s) when you don't want to pick-up the beam?

• John Jones likes this

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 08:49 PM

When I dimension, and I suspect others too, I add a dimension string to pick up room dimensions, and another to pick up structure ... if there's a beam 6" into a room, the dimension string is horrible. I do want to dimension beams, just NOT all the time.

Dimension point works, but it's a pain to use in a large expanse with multiple beams, especially since it doesn't form a continuous straight dimension string.

Dimension point should work like the other commands ... FROM - TO - TO - TO and ESC to finish NOT FROM - TO - FROM - TO

Keith

#7 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, Ks

Posted 11 February 2022 - 07:52 AM

Beams can be a real issue with drafting time....and when you are on the cheap end of the pay scale, every minute is an issue....I charge by the Sq FT ....years ago a right handed draftsman would start the final draft of drawing in the upper left and work across and down so as to NOT smug the india ink ....now, I still continue this practice, but just outa habit....layers is so much eaiser....and do not have to worry if the water in the Rapiograph humidor has dried out...lol....aaaaah the good old days....NOT!

Harlon G. " Buddy " Suttle
casekc49@gmail.com
CELL: 913-339-6242

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users