19 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 March 2022 - 03:38 AM

Didn't record the day but, I lost the PREVIEW PANE in my note library.  Symbol PREVIEW PANE is fine.  I thought it may have happened with the last patch, but not sure.  TS told me to re-install the patch, didn't work.  I have been advised to re-install SP2022.  Not really in my comfort zone.  Anyone else experience this?

Fix?

Thanks,Mike

Attached Files

#2 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 10:37 AM

Follow up.

Tried a couple different things, nothing worked.  Consensus is to re-install SP.

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 March 2022 - 10:41 AM

Have you tried WINDOW > RESET LAYOUT

Did you ARCHIVE > CONFIGURATION when you installed 2022 - if so, have you tried restoring the BACKUP > CONFIGURATION

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 10:56 AM

Tried reset layout.  Didn't work.

Did not archive configuration.  Went from 2018 to 2022+ and winged it.

#5 John Jones

John Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 11:07 AM

It's odd that there is a Speen Note folder within the Speen Note folder.

#6 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 11:26 AM

That's my ignorance in setting up and operating something as complex as Softplan.  I am not a trained CAD operator, I am a trained carpenter who operates a CAD program.

Speed Notes and Symbols could use some straightening out... granted.  But I have never had something disappear that I could find either on my own or with the help of TS.

#7 John Jones

John Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 11:36 AM

Are you selecting Notes>Speed Notes or Draw > Symbol to get to the dialog that you attached? It looks like you are trying to place Speed Notes via the Symbols tool rather than the Note tool.

#8 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 11:53 AM

I have a Floating Tool Bar that I use 95% of the time.  When I want a note I click on the appropriate icon and when I want a symbol...and so on.  This happened in early February 2022 according to TS who had logged the call in.  Early March it aggregated me enough to send in a ticket.  Since 2016 when I started doing plansets full time I have been getting notes and symbols... right or wrong the same way.

#9 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 01:44 PM

John - How would use a symbol icon to create a note?

#10 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 16 March 2022 - 02:26 PM

That would be if you first created a symbol out of the note (instead of making it a speednote)

#11 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 02:36 PM

Gary I was waiting for that reply so you didn't disappoint.  To add to the sarcasm, I have managed to do it since 13.4

#12 John Jones

John Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 03:03 PM

This is all about Speed Notes - not Notes.  I suspect that file folders have been moved around manually but incorrectly. 

• Don Gibbons and Harald Schwegel like this

#13 Don Gibbons

Don Gibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 03:27 PM

Mike, in the image you posted, there's a 'Speed Notes' library near the bottom of the list with the '+' beside it. What happens when you click the '+' there? Do you hey more libraries there and what's in them?

#14 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 04:08 PM

The "+" is what you think it is.  If you click, it opens up more speed notes.  But they are all SPEED NOTES and the preview pane was there until early February in all of them.  TS has had access to my SP files since the beginning,  TS said they could open SPEED NOTES on their end and have a "Preview Pane"...IT'S THE SAME FILES.  If having overlapping Speed Notes were a problem it would stand to reason that TS wouldn't be able to open them either.  I have tried every speed note in every library and no preview pane.  Symbols no problem.  

My machine is only a couple years old and I have a suggested graphics card.

I asked could it be a Windows thing and it was suggested that probably not, as this is an isolated case.

#15 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 16 March 2022 - 04:22 PM

I've gotta say Mike that these kinds of issues are the worst. Sometimes we have to update the way we do things and sometimes it doesn't matter if we do or not. "Stuff" still seems to happen on occasion. I fee for you...

#16 Bill Wimberley

Bill Wimberley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • LocationSan Angelo, TX

Posted 17 March 2022 - 08:43 AM

Try deleting all the folders within SoftPlan\Symbol Thumbnails\speed notes. SoftPlan should recreate them when you access the speed notes.

#17 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 01:40 PM

There were Speed Note Thumbnails populating in both 2018 and 2022 versions on my hard drive.  I deleted all of the folders in the symbol thumbnails in both 2018 and 2022...clean.  I opened a current project and pulled one speed note from roof notes.  Went back to windows and there was one folder that had repopulated the symbol thumbnail folder and that was roof notes... however no preview pane when I opened it the project I mentioned. 

I created one new speed note "1 Test".  Speed note is there, but nothing in the preview pane.  Symbol Preview Pane is fine.

#18 Harald Schwegel

Harald Schwegel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 10:12 AM

This is all about Speed Notes - not Notes.  I suspect that file folders have been moved around manually but incorrectly. 

John is absolutely correct, what you are seeing is speed notes that have been placed under the SoftPlan\Symbols folder rather that under the SoftPlan\Speed Notes folder.  When in that location there will not be any Preview as the symbol selection dialog preview only shows 3D Symbols, which speed notes are not.  This behavior has not changed from prior versions of SoftPlan.

To correct this, simply move your custom speed note libraries from the SoftPlan\Symbols folder to the SoftPlan\Speed Notes folder and then access your speed note libraries from the Notes > Speed Notes... menu.

I hope this clarifies what is happening.

• Don Gibbons and Brent Hyndman like this

#19 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 March 2022 - 11:12 AM

What makes you think that you are looking at a SYMBOL FOLDER rather than a SPEED NOTE FOLDER.

As far as I can tell, that IS a Speed Note screenshot. The symbol folder screenshot would have 2D & 3D option boxes ...

SPEED NOTES:

Attached File  2022.03.18_13h09m51s_001_.png   59.41KB   0 downloads

SYMBOLS:

Attached File  2022.03.18_13h10m13s_002_.png   73.69KB   0 downloads

Why do you think it's not a Speed Note folder?

Mike even SPECIFICALLY said that his SYMBOL preview is fine!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#20 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 01:25 PM

Well boys and girls.... all is well.  An outstanding TS individual worked with me thru a re-install of 2022 including the recovery of my Customized Speed Notes, Symbols etc.  Just about a month ago, I sat down to work and noticed the Speed Note Preview Pane was empty.  I re-installed 2022 about 10 minutes ago and the Speed Note Preview Pane is working.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Keith Almond and Brent Hyndman like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users