6 replies to this topic

#1 Wendall Hilty

Wendall Hilty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 05:33 AM

When generating top elevations of the roof, it frequently doesn't generate the valley lines. Is there some setting I'm missing or is there some other way to avoid this problem. Usually, it's not hard to draw them in because I can reference the ridge and the bottom corner of the roof. However, there have been times where this method didn't work because since there wasn't a line to reference at the top and I just had to guess the angle.

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 19 April 2022 - 08:43 AM

A lot depends on how you create your roof. Sometimes it is best to overlay the Top Elevation over the original roof drawing if you are not seeing the exact placement of valleys. If the roof is all one roof most valleys show up easily. If the roof is a bunch of intersecting roofs they do not always show well in elevation views due to the fact the roofs more or less overlap and do not technically intersect (cut into each other). You also may have more success with some line visibility adjustments in the rendering settings.

• David Franz, Stephan Page and Wendall Hilty like this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 April 2022 - 06:47 PM

Turn ROOF OUTLINE on in drawing Mode.Open a NEW LAYER. Trace the outline of the roof an all the hips and valleys (with SNAP ON). Isolate the new outline, save to Softplan Clipboard. Open the Top Elevation and PASTE (HOLD POSITION).

• Jim Johnson and Wendall Hilty like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Wendall Hilty

Wendall Hilty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 05:00 AM

Turn ROOF OUTLINE on in drawing Mode.Open a NEW LAYER. Trace the outline of the roof an all the hips and valleys (with SNAP ON). Isolate the new outline, save to Softplan Clipboard. Open the Top Elevation and PASTE (HOLD POSITION).

How do I turn on ROOF OUTLINE?

#5 Henry Buckner

Henry Buckner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:24 AM

"Visible ItemS"

• Wendall Hilty likes this

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 April 2022 - 11:29 AM

As Henry said:

Go to OPTIONS > VISIBLE ITEMS (or DRAWING OPTIONS) > MODE VISIBILITIES > DRAWING, and in the GROUP VISIBILITIES panel CHECK - ROOF > ROOF OUTLINE

• Wendall Hilty likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#7 Wendall Hilty

Wendall Hilty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 11:54 AM

Thank you for your suggestion.  This method will be easier than the workarounds that I have used in the past.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Roof, Top Elevation, Valley, Lines, Elevations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users