5 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Harrell

Michael Harrell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 05 June 2022 - 04:02 AM

I'm new to SoftPlan and love the capabilities and flexible nature of the software.

I have to admit the most annoying "feature" is the USB key mechanism implemented.  I get the necessity to control piracy and usage but there has to be a better way.  USB hubs, expanders, etc. dangling from laptops and such is not the answer.  I use my device in various locations/job sites and so forth throughout the day and this limits the ability to use devices required for other devices needed frequently.

I'm not looking to circumvent the licensing function but has anyone found/determined a way to streamline this without requiring the need to consume one of a limited number of USB connection ports?

Michael Harrell

Raleigh, NC

#2 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 05 June 2022 - 08:34 AM

Would using Google Chrome Remote Desktop work for you?

https://remotedesktop.google.com/
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#3 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 June 2022 - 11:10 AM

It's not just the SP security key.. monitors, printers, mouse, etc.. doesn't everyone use a device hub ?
My understanding is that you can have up to 127 devices on a daisey chain of USB hubs, talk about things dangling from laptop..
Doesn't the physical key allow use of software even when away from internet connection ? Some folks might hate losing that capability..

#4 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 03:54 PM

There is a software license manager called iLok License Manager (ilok.com). This could be a potential platform that Softplan can look into for licensing Softplan on machines since they offer both physical keys and cloud based software activation. I am unaware of the limitations, compatibility, and fees, but they have digital options that function like a physical key.

#5 Michael Harrell

Michael Harrell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 06 June 2022 - 05:53 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I did think about an RDP solution or even a VM setup on an office location system.

HUBs and so forth are fine and I actually went with one that is compact and supplies me with additional USB ports.  My challenge is/was my device has 2 USB ports (these were in use for my Logitech wireless mouse and Jabra Headset) and 1 USBc Thunderbolt 4 port (that's what I use for docking station in the main office).

Maybe a bit naive on my part or I missed something in product eval but I believed at the time the key dongle was to enable/activate a valid license at installation time, not needed for use everytime the software is started.

In any event, I have a mechanism that makes life a little easier but I'm still disappointed in the key model implemented by SP

Michael Harrell

Raleigh, NC

#6 Stephan Page

Stephan Page

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 07 June 2022 - 01:48 PM

I have another cad software I use frequently with no 'key', but I have to remember to open the program and then deactivate it.  Then when I use my laptop for the program, I have to type in the license number and password.  It's kind of a pain, and as I recently found out, you need the internet for it to activate.  I like the key better personally.  

• David Zawadzki likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users