• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Kris Catlett

Kris Catlett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 09:07 PM

Can anyone help me with how to use SoftPlan 2022 for designing additions and remodels. I've built from plans before that have "existing" space and "proposed" space as well as "proposed demo" etc. I am just learning the program by designing an addition and remodel for some clients. Any help I can get would be appreciated. 

#2 Wendall Hilty

Wendall Hilty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 08:41 AM

My general approach is to draw the existing house exactly as it is now and adding the addition or remodel to that. However, there are many ways to approach this and it will also vary from project to project. Is there anything specific that you need help with?

#3 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 13 August 2022 - 09:28 AM

Can anyone help me with how to use SoftPlan 2022 for designing additions and remodels. I've built from plans before that have "existing" space and "proposed" space as well as "proposed demo" etc. I am just learning the program by designing an addition and remodel for some clients. Any help I can get would be appreciated.

Good morning Kris, have you tried using building options yet? Rename the options to your existing, proposed, etc.
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#4 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 09:54 AM

I draw an "as built" and "remodeled" drawing for every floor plan and elevation.  On my construction documents each of those are side by side so its easy for trades to compare say the main floor as built and main floor addition and see what's changing.  

#5 Kris Catlett

Kris Catlett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 09:57 AM

My general approach is to draw the existing house exactly as it is now and adding the addition or remodel to that. However, there are many ways to approach this and it will also vary from project to project. Is there anything specific that you need help with?

#6 Kris Catlett

Kris Catlett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 09:59 AM

I guess specifically I’m wanting to know how I can use soft list but have it not include the materials from the existing as built. I’d like to utilize the takeoff features but I don’t want it to give me a takeoff for things that are already built.

#7 Kris Catlett

Kris Catlett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 09:59 AM

Good morning Kris, have you tried using building options yet? Rename the options to your existing, proposed, etc.

#8 Kris Catlett

Kris Catlett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:00 AM

I have not. Someone mentioned building options in the Facebook forum but I don’t know what that is or how to access that. Could you enlighten me?

#9 Kris Catlett

Kris Catlett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:02 AM

I draw an "as built" and "remodeled" drawing for every floor plan and elevation. On my construction documents each of those are side by side so its easy for trades to compare say the main floor as built and main floor addition and see what's changing.

#10 Kris Catlett

Kris Catlett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:03 AM

Sam, do you use layers? Someone in the Facebook forum suggested using layers. A layer for the existing and a layer for the demo and a layer for the remodel. Then you could toggle them on and off for viewing as well. And then I assume using soft list you could somehow just have a material takeoff for specific layers?

#11 Kris Catlett

Kris Catlett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:04 AM

Forgive me if I’m not replying to these properly. I’m trying to find a way to reply to specific comments and I’m not sure if it’s coming out that way or not. If someone can direct me on how to do that properly I’d be happy to post better in the future.

#12 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:18 AM

Turning layers on or off does not remove items from the SoftList report or turn off the 3d display. Placing items on different "Building Options" and turning off that building option does 3 things.

1. Turns off the display in plan view
  2. Turns off the display in 3d views 
  3. Remove those items from the SoftList report

I usually create a building option called "Existing" and place all items that correspond to the existing building on that option. When it comes time to run the SoftList report, I turn that building option off. I get a 3d visual confirmation that all the existing building items are not going to report because they will not be in the 3d view and be confident that they won't be in SoftList

• ROBERT BROGAN and Wendall Hilty like this

#13 Kris Catlett

Kris Catlett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:34 AM

Ok that sounds like what I need. So how do use “building options”?

#14 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 11:28 AM

Building Options.jpg Kris under te help menu in softplan type Building Options and you will find several helpful topics.

• David Zawadzki likes this

#15 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 13 August 2022 - 12:13 PM

I guess specifically I’m wanting to know how I can use soft list but have it not include the materials from the existing as built. I’d like to utilize the takeoff features but I don’t want it to give me a takeoff for things that are already built.

Did you down load the remodelers wall types?
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#16 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 13 August 2022 - 12:31 PM

https://youtu.be/UBqhYFrfcR4

Here’s a link that might help you?

Did you notice all the tutorial videos on your SoftPlan start page? You can also find them on your navigation window while in a drawing.

Softplan user since 1989

#17 Kris Catlett

Kris Catlett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 12:39 PM

This is great!!! Thanks so much!!

#18 Kris Catlett

Kris Catlett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 12:58 PM

David, how do I download the remodelers wall types?

#19 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 01:12 PM

Wall Type Choices.jpg Kris, a lot of help items available in the online help manual, always a good place to search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: remodel, additons

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users