15 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 07:48 AM

I need to have a roof sloping back towards a wall, and I cannot get it to work.  I have a few sloped roofs on the project, and they work fine. I am trying to get a similar roof over the drive through window and the best i can get is a roof that just shows the shingles. please see the attached rendering.  

1. Is there a trick to fixing the shingle only roof to show the other materials like my working roofs?

2. Is there a quick way to slope a solid, and I can fudge it in that way?

3. I tried turning off the clean up on one of the good roofs and coping it over, but it displays just the shingles like the other attempts.

4. How can I force a roof lollipop to attach to a beam or wall?

5. what is the difference between a lollipop with an x in it and one with an R.  It seems like I cannot make the x attach to a beam...

Every time I think I know what i'm doing, I get stumped on something new.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Dave

#2 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 17 September 2022 - 07:56 AM

Item 5

these are the only 3 possibilities for roof lollypops.

Solid - its attached to the wall

X - it knows theres something there but not attached

Hollow - doesn't know anything and isn't connected to anything.

same logic with all polygons in SP

send a pic of your situation.

Attached Files

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#3 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 08:02 AM

Here is what I have, Joseph.  Thanks.

#4 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 08:03 AM

image. sorry

Attached Files

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 September 2022 - 08:09 AM

Have you tried a standard shed roof and then edit the pitch to -1 (or whatever) ... I haven't tried it, it's just a theory.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 08:15 AM

yep, can't do a negative pitch.

#7 Wendall Hilty

Wendall Hilty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 10:39 AM

You can do a negative pitch but you need to do it in the correct conditions to have it show up. Here is a roof I did recently. It looks like a continuous 2/12 pitch roof but it's really a normal roof with the higher section set to a negative 2/12. 

Attached File  Roof Snip 2.jpg   31.23KB   2 downloads

Attached File  Roof Snip 1.PNG   35.78KB   1 downloads

• Keith Almond likes this

#8 Henry Buckner

Henry Buckner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 01:25 PM

I believe the easier way to draw that roof is to set the topmost roof edge to a gable. 

#9 Wendall Hilty

Wendall Hilty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 01:49 PM

I believe the easier way to draw that roof is to set the topmost roof edge to a gable. 

I did it like this for one reason. The roof panels are solid SIP panels and I needed the fascia to be slanted on an angle with the panels instead of being vertical. Am I correct in believing this can't be done with the other method?

Attached File  Slant.jpg   34.43KB   1 downloads

In any case, this roof could be done using this method. You would probably want to add a ceiling inside to make it look better.

Attached File  Roof.jpg   56.78KB   1 downloads

• Keith Almond likes this

#10 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 18 September 2022 - 06:17 AM

Thanks, Wendall, but I think that is what I'm trying, but the lollipop will not connect to my top beam. at least I think that is the issue. I can make the edge hip and it attaches but still looks like just the shingles. Change it to intersect and it goes back to an x. Did you just place your beam at different heights and draw the roof?  what are your edge settings?  I cannot enter a negative value for pitch on the roof or the edge. How did you get that to go?

I just need a cube on an angle, and 5 hours of fussing I'm no closer.  Should this be this difficult?

Since obviously I am not as good with softplan as i thought, Can anyone tell me how to fudge it in?  I don't need materials or anything. My client is actually doing the construction documents in Autocad.  I just need to get the rendering to be close...

Thanks for your help!

Dave

#11 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 18 September 2022 - 06:33 AM

Why don't fascia show up on my side edges?  I check it, un check it, re check it. softplan decides not to show it regardless of what i tell it...

Sorry... Getting frustrated...

Dave

#12 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 September 2022 - 08:58 AM

You need side beams to reference the gable edges to, so that the roof knows where the edge is, to get a fascia.

If you just want a quick fudge:

Draw 4 beams in a square outside your walls. You need the side beams to reference the gable edges (as above).

Set them to HIDDEN and uncheck EXTRACT IN MODEL.

Add a 2:12 roof. Set the edge nearest the house to hip and the other three to gable.

Adjust spacing and height of beams (and visibilities) to suit.

• Steven Wohlgemuth likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#13 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 05:27 AM

Thank you, Keith. That got me what I needed.  I kept trying to get the beams positioned and sloped right, then put on the roof. getting the quick roof and then placing some baems to make it look right worked great!

Dave

#14 Wendall Hilty

Wendall Hilty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 05:37 AM

These are the exact steps I used to draw mine. I'm sure there is a more efficient way but maybe it will help. Begin by drawing the main beams but keep them at the same height as the lower one. Add two short beams in the middle in the other direction.

Attached File  1.jpg   66.61KB   1 downloads

Trace a regular roof over the beams and set the pitch, heel height, and overhangs as desired. Uncheck GABLE END PROVIDED BY ROOF on both ends. At this point you could optionally put a gable on the end with the beam that will be higher if you don't need the raked facia.

Attached File  3.jpg   66.43KB   0 downloads

Calculate exactly how much higher the top beam will be based on the pitch and move it up by that amount.

Attached File  4.jpg   63.46KB   0 downloads

Edit the top roof edge to a negative 2/12 pitch. Make sure you maintain your heel height or it won't show up. I have 4" on both ends of mine. Rake the soffit and facia top and bottom if desired. Edit the side beams and uncheck EXTRACT IN MODEL and turn on HIDDEN.

Attached File  5.jpg   63.1KB   0 downloads

EDIT: Looks like I was a bit too late on this but I'll leave this up for anyone else who might need it.

• David Zawadzki likes this

#15 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 19 September 2022 - 08:14 AM

roof planes attached to phantom or hidden walls like said above.  using hip or gable lollypops will show eaves proper,  vertical intersect could be handy when the plane wraps around a taller wall possibly.

Attached Files

• Keith Almond and Wendall Hilty like this

Joseph A. Smith

#16 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 19 September 2022 - 08:17 AM

custom arc profile roofs you can do the same thing.

Attached Files

• Keith Almond and Wendall Hilty like this

Joseph A. Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users